EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

they were cheap, no idea of breeds

They didn't like the wazine so I was actually just about to ask you which ivermectin to order. My other thought though was equine oral ivermectin it's only like $2 and can treat up to 1200#

Thoughts?
This is the least expensive ivermectin on the market , sold at TSC/RK/mom & pop feed stores.
20180518_171019 copy.jpg

I wouldn't administer equine formulation.
You have two options.

1. You will need 20 gauge needles. One for each pig. We don't stick used needles back in the bottle. 1 cc per 100 lbs body weight. Fold the ear forward and inject behind the ear in the soft tissue. Since these are meat pigs, I would NOT inject into meat or muscle for residual reasons.
  2. Oral administration. Take a bread slice or two and ball them up tight into a wad. Inject the 1 cc per 100 lbs of ivernmec into the center of the bread ball. MAKE SURE THEY ARE FED SEPARATELY. It tastes bad. Another pig might grab a spit out bread wad. When we do oral treatments, we give them 2 or 3 bread balls w/o meds first to trick them into thinking it's a treat. They suck down the first few balls, then the med ball goes down faster.
.jpeg nhg.jpg

Welp, it's 105 with a high of 110 this week, it's the hottest it's ever been this early in the 4-5 years since I moved to Texas. I have a feeling I'm going to lose some birds this summer at this rate :/ We already have one silkie rooster who's not tolerating the heat well today, but there's nothing I can do about it if he can't survive. I'm not letting birds live in my house.

We have misters up and iceblocks out for them to lean against.... but it is what it is :(

Welp, it's 105 with a high of 110 this week, it's the hottest it's ever been this early in the 4-5 years since I moved to Texas. I have a feeling I'm going to lose some birds this summer at this rate :/ We already have one silkie rooster who's not tolerating the heat well today, but there's nothing I can do about it if he can't survive. I'm not letting birds live in my house.

We have misters up and iceblocks out for them to lean against.... but it is what it is :(
Good luck
You have electric out there? If nothing else, it might help to have a fan blowing across a block of ice, or the biggest bowl you own full of ice cubes

Last edited:
Good luck
You have electric out there? If nothing else, it might help to have a fan blowing across a block of ice, or the biggest bowl you own full of ice cubes

Sadly, no electric. My husband is looking into battery operated fans for the hottest part of the afternoon and the possibility of a gas-powered swamp cooler, but those may run us 4-10k to invest in one down the road.

DSCN6781 copy.jpg

If you were driving down the road and you saw 3 of this signs, one by a driveway, one by the mail box and one on the gate- WHAT WOULD YOU DO, if you were interested in purchasing some chickens?

Only 1 person called within a one week period.:confused: Everyone else sat in their cars blowing their horns making me stop what I am doing. Hubby snatched the signs down a half hour ago. He walked out there in the pouring rain 4 times today. Hell bent he was:lau. I wish it was on video. He snatched the sign off of the gate and held it to the car window. I can't repeat what he said here, being a family site.
We are sticking to classified ads now.
Reading-Comprehension and respect of personal privacy went out the window years ago, along with common sense. :gig

Back
Top Bottom