EE, Ameraucana, Auracana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truthfully, you could say most chicken breeds are mutts, by that standard. Wyandottes have Cochins in their background, but that doesn't make them mutts. Why? Because they do breed true now that the breed is established. If you would post pictures, we would probably be able to help you decide if you have standard colors. This is an issue that seems so confusing to people, but if you sell EEs as the Ameraucana breed, it just perpetuates the confusion, IMO.

Quote:
I bought blue Araucana eggs. When they hatched they are not Araucana but EE. I will not sale my eggs as Araucana eggs. The Araucana breeder also had Cochin show birds and well one of her Cochins bred the Araucana so the eggs were still blue but the chicks are mutts. The breeder said she sold me purebred eggs but she did not. I will not buy from that breeder again as they refused to admit I have EE chicks since my birds have no tails, tufts, but also feathered feet.

If you are unsure as to what you have, there is a ton of info on this site. Check out the sticky at the top of the breeds, genetics, and showing forum.
A few indications of EE's are:

-willow or green leggs (they should be slate)

-different comb shapes (should be pea)

-small or thin beards (a sign they are het. for the beard gene, or not pure)

-they were purchased from a hatchery or a breeder online that has 'Americanas' (go to the breed club and find a breeder there)

that is different situation. you have halfbreeds. more than half of mine came out in standard colors. if i breed a silver ameraucana to a blue wheaton ameraucana it is still ameraucana. just not standard. cubalayas only have 3 standard colors. that doesnt mean that a silver duckwing cubalaya is not a cubalaya.

Cubalaya-why dont you check back with your breeder and see how your parent stock is housed?
Tell them what you have now that the birds have grown out. We can speculate, but they know the bottom line. Perhaps they have the colors separated but sent you eggs all together so it looks mixed, perhaps they have mixed colors. It would be good for you to know If they have all their colors penned together and you have stock that is going to throw a mix of genetics but not pures with the green and blue eggs, just disclose that when you sell eggs.
Plenty of people wont care, but some will and it isnt right to perpetuate the confusion on this breed.
You would be dissapointed if you bought SQ RIR and got Red Sexlinks, right? They are both fantastic birds, but if you want SQ RIR, invest the money for the eggs and the time to grow out the chicks only to find you dont have any you wont be happy. And neither will your customers if there is a possibility you do not have true, pure, Ameraucanas and you sell them as such.
We dont do anyone a service if we dont know the facts behind the birds we breed.
This is how we learn. This is how we do better.

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
Why don't you post pictures of your birds and I will let you know what they are.

The problem with the above statement is that someone may buy your eggs/birds wanting to show them or wanting pure ameraucanas.

The fact is that you do not KNOW whether you have true amerauacanas. This makes calling them or selling their offspring (either eggs or chicks) as amerauacanas dishonest. If you can determine that you DO have true amerauacanas then it is not.

Question the person from whom you purchased your eggs--question them about their source. If the original birds came from a hatchery rather than a breeder, or if they have been crossed with any other breeds, they are EEs.

And the term EE is not derogatory--there are many people who prefer the variety of egg colours laid by a flock of EEs as compared with only blue from amerauacanas or araucanas, just as there are many people who prefer a flock of sex-links as compared with a flock of SQ RIR.

Quote:
Yeah, but I could put the blue eggs on ebay as purebreds. That is basically what you say you are doing. Which is also dishonest to sale your eggs as pure when you do not know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom