EE brown egg-how common is it?

garlandchickens

Songster
Aug 27, 2020
North Texas
Hello! I have a 6 month old EE who just started laying. At least, we think. The shape of her eggs are a bit different from the other girls so we’re pretty sure. Anyway, she is laying brown eggs, and of course with her being an EE we were hoping for blue or green. It doesn’t really matter, but can someone tell me the likelihood of an EE laying brown? I have very little genetic knowledge! Side note- I don’t know her parentage.

can someone tell me the likelihood of an EE laying brown? I have very little genetic knowledge! Side note- I don’t know her parentage.

Not without knowing her parentage and their genetics. We can't even all agree on a definition for EE. It can mean different things to different people.

They are a mixed breed with Americauna or Aracauna lineage.

Not really. If this link works you'll see that it is the other way around. The Araucana and Ameraucana were developed from the original colored egg layers (EE's ?) from Chile. Some hatcheries had their original colored egg laying flocks before the Ameraucana breed was developed in the 1970's. That EE's were developed from Araucana or Ameraucana is commonly repeated on here but it isn't really correct. EE's can be developed from these two breeds but they don't have to be and often aren't.

http://ameraucana.org/DnLd/Early History by Richard Orr.pdf

Absolutley......All but two of my EE lay blue or green eggs....I got lucky! Looks like you need more EE! :p :oops:
Aw I wish, but we are at our max of 4 girlies. Only one EE. We got our EE and Sapphire Gem after we lost our only EE. She laid beautiful blue eggs. Photo is of her egg.
49543073-9299-41C6-9796-B352721C06FD.jpeg

can someone tell me the likelihood of an EE laying brown? I have very little genetic knowledge! Side note- I don’t know her parentage.

Not without knowing her parentage and their genetics. We can't even all agree on a definition for EE. It can mean different things to different people.

Not really. If this link works you'll see that it is the other way around. The Araucana and Ameraucana were developed from the original colored egg layers (EE's ?) from Chile. Some hatcheries had their original colored egg laying flocks before the Ameraucana breed was developed in the 1970's. That EE's were developed from Araucana or Ameraucana is commonly repeated on here but it isn't really correct. EE's can be developed from these two breeds but they don't have to be and often aren't.

http://ameraucana.org/DnLd/Early History by Richard Orr.pdf

We are taking a very American history focused view of a chicken breed whose origins started in Chile. Even that article mentions that the Araucana is a mixing of a Collanca and a Quetro, right in the first few paragraphs. Two breeds of chicken with ancient roots in Chile and are not common breeds in the states, I am not sure people from Chile, who take pride in breeding ancient indigenous breeds would be happy they are simple labeled as "Easter Eggers". I am not trying to cause drama, but I feel strongly that saying the Araucana is developed from "EEs" in Chile is dismissive of their history and their own breeds of chickens.

But I do agree with you that EEs are often just a mix of whatever breeds of chicken happen to have a blue egg gene. However, having said that, if a chicken breed has the blue egg laying gene, then it has to be in some way related to the Araucana, however distantly, its origins and ancestors had to come from Chile. That is where the blue egg gene comes from, the only other chicken breed to mutate that color independently of the Araucana is the Dongxiang from China. Unless, I am mistaken? Are there other breeds of chicken that independently mutated blue eggs without being bred to chicken breeds from Chile?

Last edited:
Hello! I have a 6 month old EE who just started laying. At least, we think. The shape of her eggs are a bit different from the other girls so we’re pretty sure. Anyway, she is laying brown eggs, and of course with her being an EE we were hoping for blue or green. It doesn’t really matter, but can someone tell me the likelihood of an EE laying brown? I have very little genetic knowledge! Side note- I don’t know her parentage.
So much more common than you'd imagine!

I have three EE and I get the spectrum of colors. 1 blue, 1 green, and 1 brown. All were bought at the same time from a local farm store so I have no idea what hatchery they came from and they are all partridge type coloration.

Back
Top Bottom