EE cross question

I'm a sure it is dis-appointing but I would have to agree with others that your "hens" are in fact roosters. The two in the back are obvious due to the hackles and comb and the light rooster is too similar in comb to say hen. I am sorry that you were mislead but it may not have been the sellers intention to cheat you as they may not have known the sex of the birds either. Having said that , we have a rooster our youngest son named "Brochocho" that is out of our salmon duckwing EE roo "Gonzo" and a lovely black Australorp hen who has turned out to be one of the most diligent and chivalrous young gentleman we have had in years. We are glad that he was too beautiful for the stew pot because he watches our flock closely and takes good care of the hens. So ... you could make lemonade from your otherwise lemons ?

As gorgeous as they were, we simply cannot have roosters in town. They would be too much of a noise nuisance. Luckily, a friend of a friend has some chickens and took 2 of the 3 roosters to go live out in the country. We found another good home for the 3rd one. I actually love the crowing. The previous owner sent me a check for $20 (so 2/3 of what I paid) and it made it doable to find good homes rather than just sell them to anyone. Anyway it was a happy ending for all.

Sorry I couldn't find anywhere else to post this question. I have white leghorn hens and getting a Easter egger roo. My question is if i put the EE roo with the leghorn hens will they still lay white eggs or will i get colored eggs?

Sorry I couldn't find anywhere else to post this question. I have white leghorn hens and getting a Easter egger roo. My question is if i put the EE roo with the leghorn hens will they still lay white eggs or will i get colored eggs?

In my experience you'll get tons of large pale colored eggs. You don't know if he is pure for blue egg genes, he may have a brown gene also so you could get pretty much anything, but not white.

Thanks donrae. I posted the same question in another group and getting mixed answers. Some agree with you and others are saying first generation will be white eggs they are saying I won't get colored eggs until 2nd generation and they will be sexlink.

Thanks donrae. I posted the same question in another group and getting mixed answers. Some agree with you and others are saying first generation will be white eggs they are saying I won't get colored eggs until 2nd generation and they will be sexlink.

Disregard the input from those folks as they are advising use of white leghorns for sex linked crosses and that is quite telling about their understanding of chicken genetics. Donrae, on the other hand, knows her stuff!

Back
Top Bottom