EE...male or female?

I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell if mines a boy too??? They are about 3 weeks old and only one has bumps on the 'comb'...I'm new I don't know if that's what it really is or not?

He or she is the only one that will actually hop in my hand when I stick my hand in the brooder. I have 3 EE that are 3 weeks old and the other two are a little skiddish still even tho we pick them up ALOT my 4 year old thinks they are the greatest little things EVER. My 2 year old son actually picked this one out when we got them and he named him Jake ( he is a huge Jake and the neverland pirates fan) I laughed and thought that would be funny calling a hen Jake.....not so funny now that I'm thinking the name might actually fit. We were hoping for all girls since I do have two very young children that love to scream and run around the yard like crazy hooligans!! I guess I'm scared a roo might attack please help if you can I know they are young to tell the sex but I was wondering if someone that was experienced could give me there input

Thank you
Your chick is too young to tell gender. If you post new photos of it when it is at least 8 weeks old, though, we should be able to help sex it then.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you!! I cant wait to see what they look like when they get bigger!! I will post pics in a few weeks
wee.gif

I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell if mines a boy too??? They are about 3 weeks old and only one has bumps on the 'comb'...I'm new I don't know if that's what it really is or not?

He or she is the only one that will actually hop in my hand when I stick my hand in the brooder. I have 3 EE that are 3 weeks old and the other two are a little skiddish still even tho we pick them up ALOT my 4 year old thinks they are the greatest little things EVER. My 2 year old son actually picked this one out when we got them and he named him Jake ( he is a huge Jake and the neverland pirates fan) I laughed and thought that would be funny calling a hen Jake.....not so funny now that I'm thinking the name might actually fit. We were hoping for all girls since I do have two very young children that love to scream and run around the yard like crazy hooligans!! I guess I'm scared a roo might attack please help if you can I know they are young to tell the sex but I was wondering if someone that was experienced could give me there input

Thank you

Unfortunately, this chick isn't as easy to sex. It's comb is a single comb, instead of a pea comb. With pea combed breeds, often three rows in the comb mean male. But, with a single comb, you can't tell that early. I'd watch the comb for signs of reddening, especially before 6 weeks old. This usually indicates a male. Temperament isn't a great indicator of gender, so I'd discount that for now.

Hey Jake is about 8-9 weeks old now I was wondering if you could give it another whirl and try and guess the sex of my pretty little EE??

There is a lady here on backyard chickens that has an EE that I thought jake might look like when s/he gets older so I contacted her and she said that her chicken was a female. I know that EE can be feather sexed so I am hoping that Jake is a female like hers this is her chicken

Hello everyone, I am brand new to the site and I'm a goofball that can figure out how to make a new thread. So I hope u guys don't mind me just posting along urs. I'm very new the chickening like 2 months in. And very addicted. When we picked out our hens we decided to get a varity of breeds. We decided on 2 EE and picked out 2 very cute Pullets. But as they come closer to laying time I am seeing some pretty Roo like features and behaver. She/he has been mounting another hen. Wasn't sure if that was a domance thing in hens much like dogs??? And other things are leading me to believe we might have a Roo here. With us living in a suburb we are not allowed to have Roosters and have VERY grumpy people living next to us. Can someone PLZ tell me what I have here by looking at my pictures. Thank you much.
[/IMG]ttp://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6956415/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom