EE or Americauna???

Chicklette 1

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Kentucky
I have been reading as many threads as I can but still cannot determine if I have an EE or Americauna. Anybody out there that can tell me??
62617_pa200015.jpg
She has not started laying yet so she is still young. Very flighty but I am working on taming her. Is she grey or blue?

Last edited:
Easter Egger. She's got the proper silver duckwing genes in her, but she also has some blue in her as well.

Often as a general note, if someone is wondering if their bird is an Ameraucana or Easter Egger - It's an Easter Egger.

Quote:
Yes, because purebred Ams are rare and EEs are so common. To complicate matters many folks, who don't know any better, call their EEs Ameraucanas. I have both and love them both. My EEs have the sweetest natures (although they are not laying now and I miss the green eggs)!

Quote:
Yes, because purebred Ams are rare and EEs are so common. To complicate matters many folks, who don't know any better, call their EEs Ameraucanas. I have both and love them both. My EEs have the sweetest natures (although they are not laying now and I miss the green eggs)!

Just out of curiosity what shows to you so quickly that she is EE? Trying to learn this myself!
Thanks

Quote:
Easter Eggers are very common, usually someone wondering which they have means its an Easter Egger, and this particular hen is not a recognized Ameraucana color. She's close, and she's got what appears to be slate legs, but her color isn't quite right.

This is the closest, a Silver Duckwing.

lfsilverf.jpg

But she has blue in her, which is muting the duckwing and also just plain showing blue come in. I've been noticing this as a trend with Easter Eggers from hatcheries - In the last two years they've suddenly been spitting out a lot of EE's with blue in them.

Quote:
Yes the olive green legs were a dead give-away. A true Ameraucana has slate colored legs and EEs often have greenish colored legs. The only approved varieties of true Ameraucanas are black, blue, buff, white, silver, brown-red, wheaten, blue wheaten. Although your EE has some of the silver characteristics it is missing many and with ameraucanas (as with all pure breds) it's all or nothing. Here is a great post that covers the topic in detail...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128806

Back
Top Bottom