Egg Bound - Need Advice Please

tarahharlin

Songster
9 Years
Dec 29, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 6 year old Speckled Sussex hen who yesterday after I was finished with work, I had noticed something was clearly wrong. She had been totally fine and her normal spunky self that morning with a clear crop as well. Looking at her poops and body language, I made the guess that she was probably struggling with laying an egg...puffed up, drooping wings, and clearish liquid coming out of her vent. She has laid a few this season, but not many within the past couple weeks, which is not abnormal for her. I gave her a calcium tablet, lubed her vent kept an eye on her. I decided to bring her inside to keep closer tabs. She was clearly struggling and trying to push something out and she was drinking water from time to time when I offered it. Let's just say it was a long night and I was so hoping she'd make it through the morning. She did and looked a little brighter this morning and no longer had her wings drooping. She did pass a few poops, however no egg and her crop wasn't empty, which didn't surprise me. I gave her another calcium tablet first thing this morning and now a few hours later, she passed some of the clear egg white and then this soft egg came finally came out. I was so worried about her prolapsing, but everything looks okay. I was hoping she'd perk right back up after laying, but she's just laying down with her eyes closed. I'm hoping it's just because she's exhausted and has been trying to push this out since yesterday and hopefully there isn't another.

And on a side note....they are on Purina Layena Free Range pellets, have free choice access to grit, oyster shell and crushed eggshells.

Is there anything I should be doing for her right now? I have been giving her water with vitamins/electrolytes and I do have Fish Mox on hand. Should I start her on that just in case? I'm so worried about her. This girl is my little special sassy sidekick and means the world to me.

Here's the photos of what she passed and her resting right now.❤️

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2735.jpg
    IMG_2735.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2736.jpg
    IMG_2736.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 2
I have a 6 year old Speckled Sussex hen who yesterday after I was finished with work, I had noticed something was clearly wrong. She had been totally fine and her normal spunky self that morning with a clear crop as well. Looking at her poops and body language, I made the guess that she was probably struggling with laying an egg...puffed up, drooping wings, and clearish liquid coming out of her vent. She has laid a few this season, but not many within the past couple weeks, which is not abnormal for her. I gave her a calcium tablet, lubed her vent kept an eye on her. I decided to bring her inside to keep closer tabs. She was clearly struggling and trying to push something out and she was drinking water from time to time when I offered it. Let's just say it was a long night and I was so hoping she'd make it through the morning. She did and looked a little brighter this morning and no longer had her wings drooping. She did pass a few poops, however no egg and her crop wasn't empty, which didn't surprise me. I gave her another calcium tablet first thing this morning and now a few hours later, she passed some of the clear egg white and then this soft egg came finally came out. I was so worried about her prolapsing, but everything looks okay. I was hoping she'd perk right back up after laying, but she's just laying down with her eyes closed. I'm hoping it's just because she's exhausted and has been trying to push this out since yesterday and hopefully there isn't another.

And on a side note....they are on Purina Layena Free Range pellets, have free choice access to grit, oyster shell and crushed eggshells.

Is there anything I should be doing for her right now? I have been giving her water with vitamins/electrolytes and I do have Fish Mox on hand. Should I start her on that just in case? I'm so worried about her. This girl is my little special sassy sidekick and means the world to me.

Here's the photos of what she passed and her resting right now.❤️
I think maybe you should let her rest. But I’m sure she will get better :D 🤗

Poor girl!

Yes! I would start her on the Fish Mox right away. What mg do you have?
Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days or if she's a fairly normal sized hen, give 250mg twice a day.

Work on getting her hydrated like you have been doing. If she'll eat a little wet feed, bits of egg, etc. that would be good too.

Hopefully she'll pull through.

Poor girl!

Yes! I would start her on the Fish Mox right away. What mg do you have?
Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days or if she's a fairly normal sized hen, give 250mg twice a day.

Work on getting her hydrated like you have been doing. If she'll eat a little wet feed, bits of egg, etc. that would be good too.

Hopefully she'll pull through.
Thank you! I have the 250mg Fish Mox...so twice a day? I'll get her started on that right away.

After about an 1 1/2 nap, she started making little noises at me and perking up. I gave her a little wet feed and she ate that and got up to wipe her beak clean on the rug. lol
She's strutting around the place now, so I put her back outside with her girls and saw her drinking a bunch of water, which makes me happy. Her eyes look a lot brighter too, so hopefully she's back on track to her sassy self!

Thank you! I have the 250mg Fish Mox...so twice a day? I'll get her started on that right away.

After about an 1 1/2 nap, she started making little noises at me and perking up. I gave her a little wet feed and she ate that and got up to wipe her beak clean on the rug. lol
She's strutting around the place now, so I put her back outside with her girls and saw her drinking a bunch of water, which makes me happy. Her eyes look a lot brighter too, so hopefully she's back on track to her sassy self!
It's good that she's perking up.
If she were mine, I would still give the Fish Mox to help prevent infection.
Extra calcium for a few days too.

Getting back with her girls is always good!! Even if they don't feel 100% often they are much happier and more comfortable being with their flock.

Drinking a bunch of water is probably good, but I would also make sure her crop empties overnight. Check it before she eats/drinking in the morning, it should be flat.

It's good that she's perking up.
If she were mine, I would still give the Fish Mox to help prevent infection.
Extra calcium for a few days too.

Getting back with her girls is always good!! Even if they don't feel 100% often they are much happier and more comfortable being with their flock.

Drinking a bunch of water is probably good, but I would also make sure her crop empties overnight. Check it before she eats/drinking in the morning, it should be flat.
I actually gave her dose 1 of the fish mox a few hours ago, so I will continue that for 7-10 days along with giving her some extra calcium for a few days.

I will also be sure to check her crop first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will be back to normal after laying that soft egg.

She does seem to be happy to be back with her girls! Thanks again for all your advice! I really appreciate it! :)

Back
Top Bottom