Egg bound

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
I think I have an egg bound hen. For the last couple of days, she's been sitting hunched. She seems to be eating and drinking but uncomfortable. At first I thought she was just cold, but that's not it.

How do I tell for sure that she is egg bound? And if no vet can see her tomorrow, do I need to handle this? I'm scared to hurt her either way.

I'm wondering if the bulge is normal..she only lays a couple times a week ..she is almost 8 years old ..is a new Hampshire..could she be egg bound? She seems normal other than poopy behind..which happens occasionally..usually when feed gets changed because of unavailability..thanks in advance...she is in the nursery inhouse🙄since our weather is cold now...below 20s
Hello..not very good at this Internet thing .I just saoked my hen again and she's in the nursery..sheDOES have a bulge under her vent between her legs..she soaked for half hour ..she actually enjoys it.
What's the reason for soaking? Is she in distress, not eating/drinking or was the soaking to give her bottom a clean up?

If she's getting a poopy bottom, then you can just rinse her bottom well, then use a hair dryer to dry her before putting her back with her flock.

A bulge under the vent between the legs can be many things. If she's eating/drinking, relatively active, laying eggs a couple of times week, it sounds like she's doing o.k.

This may be one of those monitor type of things and see how she's getting along. At 8 yrs of age, then if she's moving about o.k. and interacting with her flock, I wouldn't do anything.

I think I have an egg bound hen. For the last couple of days, she's been sitting hunched. She seems to be eating and drinking but uncomfortable. At first I thought she was just cold, but that's not it.

How do I tell for sure that she is egg bound? And if no vet can see her tomorrow, do I need to handle this? I'm scared to hurt her either way.
Do you know when her last egg was?

Yes, very helpful.
Give her some epsom salt baths and get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day. Try to get in with at least 500mg of calcium.
Exactly how long has she been like this?
Ok. I will. 2, maybe three days? She is now pecking around normally but then stops at looks to be in a bit of a trance, uncomfortable looking and still. And stays that way too long.

If she was eggbound I would think she would have passed by now.
Any bloating in the abdomen? Is her crop working properly? How full is it now?
Does she eat and drink on her own?
How old and what breed is she?
I am not sure about bloating. I haven't noticed bloating but I'm new to this still.
Her crop seems fine and she's eating and drinking. Her crop doesn't have much in it but I feel the sees mix I have them a bit ago She is 7 months old and a Barred Rock.

2, maybe three days? She is now pecking around normally but then stops at looks to be in a bit of a trance, uncomfortable looking and still. And stays that way too long.
Please post photos of your hen and her poop.

What do you feed, including treats?

How old is she and how long have you had her?

I would still give her extra Calcium for a few days. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give her 1 tablet daily. Just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.

If she's walking about, eating/drinking and pecking normally and pooping, then not likely egg bound. Egg Binding is a crisis, and a hen will usually succumb within 48hrs of an egg blocking the cloaca.
She may be having some difficulty expelling a soft shelled egg that is still in the egg gland, has laid internally or it could be something else - so many things affect chickens.

Hopefully with a bit more info and photos we can offer more suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom