Egg is stuck

I was hoping you could find the opening, every once in a while, you can, but most of time that's not possible.
You can try treating her like in the video, but I would recommend that you start her on antibiotics if you end up cutting the tissue.

She's young and this is the first egg, so chances are good that if you are able to repair this, she will prolapse again on the next.

Is any poop coming out at all? If not, then she's totally blocked and will not last too long.
I'm not trying to be discouraging, just honest and straightforward so you know what to expect.

Is vet care an option at all? Vet care is $$$ and a lot of times vets will not even see poultry, so I understand if not if this is not an option.
Thank you for being here this late and for all your encouragement. It means a lot. Heck I'm normally in bed by 9:00 but this is too important. I am off work tomorrow so at least she's not alone and getting picked to death. I'm glad I was there to see her bleeding.
I don't live where the girls are but I'm there every day after work for at least 3 or 4 hours letting them out to free range and do my daily maintenance in the coop and run. They're both quite large and since the church owns the property I need to keep it in top shape.

:hugsI'm so very sorry, my heart aches for you:hugs

Antibiotics would need to be ordered online, so it would take a few days for you to get them. For something like this, I would give Amoxicillin. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given twice a day for 10-14 days.
I think I better educate myself on problems that may arise in the future. I don't ever want to be caught off guard like this again.
I imagine this place is as good as any to find out how to home treat a sick or hurting chicken. I've been so blessed with having healthy birds this past year. I'm only in my second year of this and I'm learning.
Thanks again♥️

You're doing all you can. You've been thrown in the deep end with this one.
Just a "normal" prolapse with exposed tissue (no egg) can be extremely difficult to treat, but having an egg stuck in the tissue like this, usually the outcome is not positive.

I'm very sorry that you're facing this.

There is always something to learn, always. There's a lot of joy to be found when keeping chickens, but sometimes there's heartache too.

Just a "normal" prolapse with exposed tissue (no egg) can be extremely difficult to treat, but having an egg stuck in the tissue like this, usually the outcome is not positive.

There is always something to learn, always. There's a lot of joy to be found when keeping chickens, but sometimes there's heartache too.
Yes, I've gotten so much joy this past year and now heartache. I suppose it comes with the territory. I think I'll sit up with her for a while longer. I'd love to hold her but it's uncomfortable for her.
I do appreciate all your help. I see you do a lot here and I'm grateful. I will be doing quite a lot of reading I think. 😊

It's done. She was still pushing this morning at 6am so I asked my neighbor to help me and we used the broomstick method to put her down. It was quick and now she's pain free.
So thankful for this Forum and to those who helped me, especially @Wyorp Rock for hanging in for so long. It was a rough night.

It's done. She was still pushing this morning at 6am so I asked my neighbor to help me and we used the broomstick method to put her down. It was quick and now she's pain free.
So thankful for this Forum and to those who helped me, especially @Wyorp Rock for hanging in for so long. It was a rough night.
Sorry you had to deal with this.

The most important thing to help prevent issues is a balanced diet.

A pelleted or crumbled layer feed is best.

Don't feed scraps, scratch or treats and your birds will have a more balanced diet.

Sorry you had to deal with this.

The most important thing to help prevent issues is a balanced diet.

A pelleted or crumbled layer feed is best.

Don't feed scraps, scratch or treats and your birds will have a more balanced diet.
They were on Grower feed as I didn't know they were laying yet. I will today get some more later feed. Thanks for your input!

:hugs I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom