Egg-laying and the Juvenile Molts

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
My girls, hatched in late June and so about 15 weeks for the California White, Blue Australorps, and Silver-Laced Wyandotes and 17 weeks for the Light Brahmas seem to be finishing up a significant juvenile molt. The pen looks like a feather pillow exploded.

I managed to pick up two different birds today -- one of the Australorps and one of the Brahmas, and was able to check their pelvic bones. Both were one-finger only. But faces are getting red and the combs and wattles have been growing noticeably for the past month.

I spread out their wings and found the flight feathers ragged with some full-size and some hardly started so I guess that molt is still ongoing. Should I expect that there is little chance of them laying their first eggs until the new feathers have grown in?

Should I expect that there is little chance of them laying their first eggs until the new feathers have grown in?
Yes.
Feathers need to finish growing in before the body is ready to make eggs.

Faces/combs/wattles can be red weeks before pelvic bones spread.
Pelvic bones can spread, and squatting commence, a couple weeks before eggs appear.
Pullets also have the maddening habit of the 'red' blooming with exertions then paling with rest.

15 and 17 weeks is early for fall laying, especially if they are still growing in feathers.

Thanks.

Once the house is FINALLY in place (it's looking like it will be exactly double the expected time), I will be pushing DH to get the larger facility ready so that I can raise spring chickens to add to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom