Egg Price Profiteering Where You Live Due To Coronovirus?

It’s kinda funny how you mentioned the stores went up in price.
I actually posted an add only because of the coronavirus. I figured maybe some people didn’t want to go to the store. So I am asking $2 a dozen for eggs during the quarantine period. Yes that includes the carton. Am I making money?? Heck no. Never got into chickens to make money so why start now.

I'm a thrifty person. All my clothes and cooking stuff and furniture comes from goodwill and what people are throwing out, I never eat out, etc, but I spend a LOT of money on food.

I'm happy to eat ugly produce and expired dairy when I can find it, but I always try to buy local, organic, pasture-raised, and ethically produced foods. The types of eggs that I used to buy at the store were closer to $4/dozen, for local, free-range, organic eggs. I want to support that kind of operation, so I end up paying double/triple the normal rate for things like free range eggs, pasture-raised cheese and meat, and organic local produce.

I'm currently giving away eggs to people who really need them, but asking for $3-$5 for people who just couldn't get them at the grocery store. It isn't free for me to raise chickens, and I don't have any issue with determining the price based on the demand. My eggs are high quality, ethically-produced, beautiful, and in high demand. I don't have that many; if someone really wants them and can afford them, they should be willing to pay for them.

I feel differently about eggs in the store. Those prices aren't going up because suddenly the chickens are being treated better or getting higher quality feed.
Like I said before, I think it's good to pay more for a more ethically-produced product. However, I'm sure some people are buying those cheap eggs because it's all they can afford. It's pretty messed up for mass producers to increase the price when almost everyone is struggling now. I haven't personally noticed whether my store has raised their prices, as I haven't bought eggs in years, and the shelves have been empty for weeks anyway.

I'm concerned in general about inflation. In a lot of countries throughout all history, people went to bed one day and when they woke up, their money was worth half of what it was the day before. Then the next days it was worth less and less, until they had to bring buckets of cash to buy food. I don't know enough about the economy to guess how rapidly our inflation rate here in America is going to increase, but it feels like we are going in that direction.

All the stores have signs limiting purchase to 1 package per person, but really that does not matter if the shelf is empty. I hope the panic will die down and that things improve.

It will, it will... but it might take some time. In a way my area is "lucky" that it was one of the first states hit, because as far as supplies we've kind of already gotten over a lot of the initial hoarding panic and many people are no longer going out to stock up on supplies, so stuff actually stays on the shelves longer.

It will, it will... but it might take some time. In a way my area is "lucky" that it was one of the first states hit, because as far as supplies we've kind of already gotten over a lot of the initial hoarding panic and many people are no longer going out to stock up on supplies, so stuff actually stays on the shelves longer.

Looking forward to better days. We only have one patient in the hospital with Coronavirus and yet our store shelves are empty. I can only imagine what people are going through where the virus has infected many.

They figured out how to pass those meals out while avoiding large gatherings.

I don't think that's it... I think it's more that the people picking up the meals have already been adequately trained to queue up in their cars and not form big masses. Lunch pick up, medication pickup, device pickup, etc, at schools around me at least, has been running very smoothly... far better than school pickups in general due to a longer time slot of when you can go... it's over several hours, not 15 minutes when school gets out.

Sounds like you are going the extra mile for your mother-in-law. Hope it works out. I think we all need to be extra considerate of others at these times.

Well mother in law finally agreed to come by and pick up a dozen, so we left them on the porch for her. She said her dog needed a place to potty too so she used our lawn lol, conveniently we also keep a doggie bag dispenser on the porch.

Just had a talk with one of my neighbors. She told me I had better keep a good on my hens. IF you can find them....the price of eggs in town is now $5.00 to $6.00 per dozen, previously less than $1.00 per dozen for white eggs. At those prices, she said she would not be surprised if people tried to take some birds at night. I have a Fort Knox chicken coop and lock the girls up every night, but it is NOT human predator proof. Might have to install some yard lights if things get that bad.

Where I live, the "normal" "pre-Coronavirus" price for a dozen white eggs at the big box stores was less than $1.00. I never decided to have a small backyard flock to save money on eggs. Things have really changed around here in many ways, but also with respect to egg availability at our stores (which I don't understand). Our local stores ran out of eggs, doubled the price per dozen, and limit one dozen per purchase so everyone has a better chance to get some eggs.

Anyway, Dear Wife has been previously selling our excess brown eggs to friends of the family for $2.00 per dozen, which was a good deal for me (they were excess eggs for us), but also for our friends as the pre-Coronavirus price of brown eggs was about $2.50 - $6.00 per dozen, depending on the label. Now, we still sell the eggs for $2.00 per dozen but only to our friends that were buying before this Coronavirus situation. With only 10 hens, it's not like we can supply too many families with eggs.

Somebody explain to me how in the world the price of eggs can double in the big box stores in the last couple of weeks when I have yet to hear of any chicken die off affecting availability? Are these eggs being stock piled somewhere to create an artificial shortage and drive prices up? The price of my grains and feed has not changed, so it costs me the same to feed my flock. OK, I don't need the $2.00 per dozen for my financial well being, but it helps pay for the chicken feed and my little "hobby" does not cost anything out of pocket.

I have decided not to raise my egg prices due to the Coronavirus situation, but I am sure I could get more for my eggs now that the big box store shelves are empty. Just wondering what other people with small flocks and selling eggs are doing in these times, if you are seeing egg shortages at your local big box stores, and if you have raised your egg prices in response. I'm not trying to pass judgement on anyone, and understand the price of eggs varies from region to region, but it would be interesting to hear from others who sell their eggs to family and friends how they are working through these times. Thanks for any feedback.
As to why the selves are bare. Many people were buying excess before the stores put a limit on them. You may see the selves start to fill back up soon. I know I've been seeing an uptick. I check local prices here for "store bought" eggs now just to see trends. Before I had no reason to. My next door neighbor gave me $10 dollars the other day. Her parents have chickens. I asked her why she wasn't getting eggs from them. She said she is staying home as much as she can. Her parents are older. So I'm keeping track of her money. I charge $2.50 across the board. I was selling to a small local mom and pop store that had a small diner. Now that all eateries, here in Maine, are closed to sit down customers she is no longer buying my eggs. But over the last few months she has given my so many cartons I am all set. I found another small grocery store (M&P) to sell to and she gave me a bunch more cartons. I sold 2 dozen (16 chickens) last Sunday. I will have a dozen tomorrow. I have sold 3 dozen this week to neighbors. This store has plenty of "store bought" they are selling for $4.99. WOW that's too much. Feed is not too expensive, since I got rid of 3 freeloaders. LOL

Back
Top Bottom