Egg problems :(

sunraysia

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Hey everyone,
This morning I went to collect the eggs when one of the eggs appeared to have a dent in it, and a very thin layer of shell. I’ve never had a problem like this before as their eggs have been perfectly fine until now. I’m worried they aren’t getting good enough nutrition, and I’m not sure what to do? Thanks!

Grab some oyster shell....even if you are providing a layer feed free choice oyster shell gives extra calcium :) I’m new this year to chickens and had some very soft shelled eggs so was suggested oyster shells and bam,.... no more soft shells :)

I have been cracking their eggs, cooking them up so they don't know what they are eating and microwaving the shells and crushing them up in the feed along with the eggs. That will take care of the soft shells and it will make their feathers shiny.

I have been cracking their eggs, cooking them up so they don't know what they are eating and microwaving the shells and crushing them up in the feed along with the eggs. That will take care of the soft shells and it will make their feathers shiny.
I would love to feed the shells back to them. I just literally have no time lol work 6 days a week gone from home 12 hours a day and now it’s dark when I leave and just about dark when I get home lol hubs refuses to cater to them so......oyster shells was the easiest solution for me along with the layer feed which they were getting anyways lol

I've heard oyster shells does the trick, thanks! I'll definitely try it out. I forgot to mention that I already have been crushing up their eggshells after using the whites and yolk and feeding it back to them, been doing that since they started laying. Anyway thanks for the help y'all !!

Hey everyone,
This morning I went to collect the eggs when one of the eggs appeared to have a dent in it, and a very thin layer of shell. I’ve never had a problem like this before as their eggs have been perfectly fine until now. I’m worried they aren’t getting good enough nutrition, and I’m not sure what to do? Thanks!
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Please include the protein and calcium percentages of the chicken ration you use.
How old are these birds?

Back
Top Bottom