Egg recall on the News stations every day now.

Indeed if the "government" gets involved it most likely will be bad for us small producers? Why because some administrations appoint "experts" from the very industries they are supposed to regulate...
somad.gif

And we know big agriculture keeps their bread well buttered....

Time to act.. Vote with where and who you buy your food from!
ON

Quote:
Throw out a bigger net. I have never had a problem selling eggs at $3/dozen. I wanted to charge $4 originally, but wanted to start cheaper. If you go into the store and get a dozen of the cage-free organic they're $4/dozen or more. Some of my relatives think $3 is too much, but these are the people that have no clue about the value of fresh and couldn't care what is happening in factory hen houses. I sell mainly to older people who remember eating fresh eggs as a child and want that again. I sell to an aunt and uncle(inlaws)who used to work in a battery house and remember the filth, dust, the horrible sounds the hens made, and then when they stopped laying how they stuffed the birds in boxes and sent them to the condensed soup factory. That leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Look up your county office and find out if you have a farmer's market nearby. This year, at least in the Indy area, each county has a market on a specified day every week. See what it would take for you to be able to sell your eggs there. Put a sign at the end of your driveway. Good luck to you.
smile.png

I would feed the eggs to my
chickens before I sell for a 1.00 doz.

I sell mine for 3.00 a doz. take or leave it/
feed cost has gone sky high. here.
beside my family loves hard boiled on their salads.
and scrambled. and for a sandwich on Gumps bread.
thumbsup.gif

so they never are wasted.

So far, no one has mentioned the Salmonella vaccine that Britain uses. Opinions? I can't help but think it would be a great idea no matter the conditions.

NPR has a good article that closes with support for US! The small or "backyard chicken farmer"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129421301

It is really hard for me to stay composed on this one. I am so passionate about local agriculture, and have been so frustrated with the status quo of industrial agriculture in this country... Know this happens.

Lets just say the "factory farmers" puppy just pooped on the rug...
sad.png
Time to hold their nose too it...and teach them a lesson!
lol.png

ON
I did not know about a Salmonella vaccine? I have to read up on it. Would not need it if we take the monoculture out of agriculture..

Quote:
Wellllllllll, if you'd've paid them a decent wage before or would now have offered to share the present potential windfall, they'd've been back at work two days ago.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wellllllllll, if you'd've paid them a decent wage before or would now have offered to share the present potential windfall, they'd've been back at work two days ago.

They need to ajust to the economy with all of the inflation! You should raise the wages in.. Let's say.. Scratch
tongue.png

Unfortunately the general public is lumping all eggs in the same basket. Read an article tonight about restaurants tossing eggs from small producers only to find later that they were okay. From what I gather there are only 2 factory/farms that are effected which, unfortunately, supply a huge number of brand named "farm fresh" eggs. Thus far it doesn't seem to have effected supermarkets locally. The next step is for the USDA to step in and require all egg sellers to have their chickens certified salmonella free. Guess who is that going to hurt?

Back
Top Bottom