eggs 15 days under broody,

econerd

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
UK
I've got 2 (there was 6)eggs under a broody pekin bantam, I've been candling from a couple of days in. at no point have I seen any veins oranything in them.I candled the 4 she had a few days ago at day 12 and two were not fertile, so I threw them away, the other two, one is letting no light through at all, and its the lightest shelled one of the lot, and the other is dark with a large air sack at the base. from what I've read, at day 12 its a bit early for them to be totaly dark like that. is it normal for an egg to have no light through at all and so early? has it just gone really nasty inside?

I've got 2 (there was 6)eggs under a broody pekin bantam, I've been candling from a couple of days in. at no point have I seen any veins oranything in them.I candled the 4 she had a few days ago at day 12 and two were not fertile, so I threw them away, the other two, one is letting no light through at all, and its the lightest shelled one of the lot, and the other is dark with a large air sack at the base. from what I've read, at day 12 its a bit early for them to be totaly dark like that. is it normal for an egg to have no light through at all and so early? has it just gone really nasty inside?
i would just leave them and wait and see.

yeah I'm going to. being under a hen I don't want them explode in a big mess under her. they came from a friend so not sure of fertility of them. she's not hatched any herself. a few days in one disappeared so I'm guessing it got squished and eaten, a she had a sticky belly for a couple of days, then the second she rolled out cos it was cracked, the other two just wernt fertile. even getting two out of the batch will be impressive. I couldn't see anything in any of them after a week in, and thinking they were infirtile I got some bantam eggs too. so she's sitting on 6 Bantu eggs and normal sized ones. if, by sheer luck, the first two chicks hatch, I will probably take them off her while she's on the other eggs then give them back when the others hatch, so she keeps sitting on the new ones.

I've candled the eggs again today and they feel very liquid, I think they are just nasty inside. the others are 5 days in and one has a clear red ring inside, whereas I can't see anything in the others. they are light shell bantam eggs so easy to see in. just hoping they hatch as I pages for these. the hen is a very attentive mum at least.

they're not going to hatch. it was day 15, that's over 2/3 of the way through incubation, and you see nothing? that's because there's nothing.

the newer ones (five days?) - - you should also see development. you should start seeing development on day 3. by day 5, it is clear. i have hatched many, many eggs.

the red ring you see in the one may be a blood ring which means development started but has ended...for whatever reason. google it.

my advice: set the eggs. leave them alone until day 10. i know, i know. it's exciting. it's enticing. you want to look. i've been there. it's part of the fun. totally get it. but, if you want to "help" the process along, don't touch the eggs. they're actually relatively sensitive to outside bacteria - - and that could be the reason you're not getting development (it could also be any number of reasons..).

try again with another group of eggs. set them. don't touch them until day 10.

also, i personally worry about hens who are broody for too long. from what i see, it's very wearing. be mindful of your hen.

**edited for simple missing words..**

Last edited:
this is the first time I've candled the new eggs, I didn't expect the first ones to do much, like I said they are from a friend who hasn't hatched any herself so I had no idea of fertility. the new ones should be fertile, I got them from a place that hatches their eggs and can be sure of fertility. I pretty much left the others under the hen and only candled every few days. the only reason she's on eggs is because she keeps going broody every couple of weeks and I was hoping it would get it out of her system, to have some chicks. I spent £18 on the last ones because of delivery costs, if none of these do anything then i can't afford to get any more. I thought the blood ring was a good thing, meant it was developing?

The hen is fine, I've got her set up inside where I can keep an eye on her all the time. I'm always dropping bits of food into her and she's eating them.

Last edited:
google the images of a blood ring - - if that's what it is, it means development has stopped. you can dispose of the egg.

from what I can see, its not a ring its a blood island, which is a good thing. it's not a ring all around the yolk, it's just one patch to the side. I will just leave her with them for now and candle when it should be more obvious. there shouldn't be to much of a risk of bacteria as I wash my hands a lot due to allergies. she's happy sat on them and will just be sat on nothing otherwise. if the batch turns out to be duff I will get into the seller and try and get my money back.

just got a wiff of something nasty and found a stinky and oozing egg under the hen, so I've binned them both. I never really expected them to do anything, as we had no idea of fertility. she's just got the 6 banty eggs under her now to concentrate on.

Last edited:
so tomorrow is day 10. I will be candling them and see if I can get any pics of them. the hen is a very good sitter so fingers crossed for at least a couple of chicks.

Back
Top Bottom