Eggs Develop Too Fast

Racing Stripes Coop

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2019
Hi I'm new here, and I have I'm having an issue. I have chicken eggs that have been in the incubator for nine days now, yet they appear to be somewhere around 17-19 days of incubation. They are almost completely black on the inside and only some thicker veins are visible, and those veins that do appear also appear to be black. The only other thing visible inside the egg -besides the few veins that are visible- is the air sac. What should I do? I don't know when to stop turning them due to the fact that the seem way more developed than the usual. I also know that they are developing fast because they also show shadows in odd shapes. A few eggs did not only appear black, but they also had weird bumps and dents in the form of the black part which I believe is the shadow of the chick. Any ideas on when I should stop turning the eggs, or how to know if they have an issue or not? Please let me know ASAP. Thanks. :):confused::(

No strange smells or sweating. Would it work if I just stopped rotating the eggs when I start to hear pipping?

I know this isn’t what you want to hear but here goes. You said you have veining still in the eggs. That means they are alive. I would stay the course of a normal 21 day hatch cycle and lock down on the 18th day. Too many times I see people overthinking the hatching and it drives them crazy. Do your part with temp/humidity and they will do their part if they are destined to hatch.

I hatch a helleva lot of eggs and this is how it has gone with 252 chicken eggs in one of my cabinets that were all set on 1-5-2019. Cabinet was running and stable. Loaded eggs. I walk by that cabinet a couple times a day and glance at temp/humidity. I still haven’t opened it or done anything. They will be moved to hatchers tomorrow and locked down. I will then do a quick down and dirty candle removing any clears or blood rings and I’ll walk away again. Chicks hatch.

I loaded quail eggs in another cabinet on 1-11 and 1-18. Same thing. I’ll lockdown around the 14th day and walk away just monitoring temp/humidity.

It’s exciting I know and especially rough for people new to incubating. I truly enjoy still watching chicks hatch and I’ve been doing this way longer than the internet has been around. But ive learned patience is key, it’s a team effort.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.

I agree with @fire370.

Am not seeing a post from them?

I believe my Jack Russell deleted it. Had my phone in my lap when she decided to come up and step all over it. And now I don’t see it. LOL. Crazy dog.

Don’t remember exactly what it said but more or less, quit candling, keep turning and lockdown on day 18.

Am not seeing a post from them?

He types with disappearing ink. :eek:

I believe my Jack Russell deleted it. Had my phone in my lap when she decided to come up and step all over it. And now I don’t see it. LOL. Crazy dog.

Don’t remember exactly what it said but more or less, quit candling, keep turning and lockdown on day 18.

That's what he said, and I still agree.

8A6C2C6B-1F0E-4002-A56D-596500B7F077.jpeg
Just another thing I wanted to share, my eggs are extremely small for chicken eggs. They are a little smaller then quail eggs, with the exception of one or two larger ones. I think things will still work out though.

Whoa, I have got to see pics now. From left to right.
1. Large Chicken egg
2. Bantam Chicken egg
3. Quail egg

I agree, if you're seeing veins then things are still progressing.
I also agree you should stay the course and continue a normal incubation cycle.
The only way your eggs could be farther along is if they were being brooded long before you gathered.
You are still seeing movement so that rules out the other possibility your temperature is much too high and they've cooked.
All you can do is carry on and see what happens.:)

Back
Top Bottom