Eggs waaayyy under porch. Will they stink?

MadChickensVT

Songster
11 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Middlebury, Vermont
We finally spotted the eggs that one of our Americaunas has been laying under the porch. We were suspicious because we'd hear her doing the egg song and then emerge. I can see at least three, but there's likely more.

We'll be fencing to keep her and others from under there. But it'll take some real dirty effort to get the existing eggs. Do we risk them going bad and then stinking if we leave them? Keep in mind that we're starting to get frosts and it will be winter soon.

Thanks

Last edited:
If they don't get broken in between now and spring you could have some problems, but chances are they will freeze and pop over the winter, so problem will be solved.

I had some intact eggs that got tossed into the compost after a Sulmet course. I thought nothing of them thinking that they would be broken open at some point. Well, I didn't turn my compost enough and the eggs somehow survived about a year in the compost until the day I emptied out my compost container. When I accidentally broke the year old composted eggs...OH DEAR GOD!!!...I nearly perished on the spot. The stench was possibly the most disgusting smell I have ever encountered in my life. The area around that compost pile stunk for days. Even the dogs avoided that part of the yard. Horrible.

I would go through the effort to get them. Besides the possible stink issue, I'm thinking they could attract rats or other unwanted critters. Sorry
sad.png

Quote:
Oh. My. Gawd. I cannot even begin to imagine how awful that must have smelled!!!
sickbyc.gif

On another note, the first thing I thought of when I read that was that I would send one of my dogs under and they'd make quick work of the eggs
lol.png

We had a duck hide her eggs a loooong way in under our dog run a few years ago. It was summertime, and we only realised they were there after hearing several loud 'explosions' and then following the horrendous stink......
lau.gif
It is one of the worst things I have ever smelled, and I have children, so my poor nose had suffered quite a bit over the years!

I would definitely try to find a way to fish them out before they go bad! Maybe a long handled pool net would do the job?

Can you roll them out with a broom handle or long piece of wood? You might want to close off access with wire for the future.

Quote:
Oh. My. Gawd. I cannot even begin to imagine how awful that must have smelled!!!
sickbyc.gif

On another note, the first thing I thought of when I read that was that I would send one of my dogs under and they'd make quick work of the eggs
lol.png

If your dogs do it, I'll send my poodle over. She will break an egg open to get at the insides
lol.png

Golfers carry a tool in their bag to retrieve balls from water hazards. The tool usually extends to about 12 ft. and the end is perfect for picking up an egg.
I grab them whenever I see them at a thrift store or Goodwill. My ducks often make nests in a briar patch and the tool works great for retrieving the eggs.

1660_golf_tool.jpg

Back
Top Bottom