Eglu/Omlet concerns/warning

chickens in VA

In the Brooder
May 5, 2015
Virginia
Hi, I'm new to chickens (just posted in the intro forum) and I bought an Eglu Cube for the 4 girls arriving soon. I chose the Eglu based on a lot of reviews, and was excited that it is supposed to be super easy to clean, predator proof and less prone to mites than wooden coops. The price made me cringe, but unfortunately I'm not at all handy and paying someone else to build a durable, predator proof coop would have cost even more than the Eglu.

So far, though, I've been pretty upset by the Eglu experience and wondering if anyone else has had similar issues/wanting to warn potential Eglu purchasers. In the US, they only ship them to Greyhound depots, and since the boxes were too big to fit even on top of my car and I live very far from the nearest Greyhound, I had to pay someone else a small fortune to pick up the coop. I also couldn't get it in any of the colors I'd wanted, since despite their website showing them as available at the time, they apparently weren't. Still, both of these issues I was aware of when I paid for the coop. The problem was really after it arrived...extremely scuffed up, scratched and dirty. I do of course realize that a chicken coop is going to get very messy once it's used, but for the very high price of the Eglu I did expect that it would arrive in decent condition. Instead, it looks like it's been mauled by a rather annoyed creature.

I sent pictures to the people at Omlet, the manufacturers in the UK, and they've basically blown me off in a rather patronizing manner. They sent me an email ''assuring me that my coop was fine'' when it clearly isn't. According to them, the scratches will either come off with mineral spirits (they don't) and/or will fade after I've had the coop a couple of weeks. I've had it a week and no sign of fading. They also suggested that I sand the deep scratches down with very fine sandpaper. Fine sandpaper won't make a dent in those, and for the price of the Cube, I really don't feel I should have to be making a big indentation in it with rough paper...or actually, fixing damage at all.

If the coop were much less expensive, or if it were secondhand, I probably wouldn't be bothered about it, but at this point I'm very irritated. I haven't even started putting it together yet, and am also wondering, given that Omlet's response was so bad to clear damage, what it will be if there are more issues assembling the coop or it it turns out not to be nearly as durable as advertised. I did find, especially on Omlet's own forum, that a number of other people have had similar issues with the coop arriving super scuffed. It's partly a packing issue, as there is no protective material around any of the pieces, so they rub against each other in transit. Apparently Omlet refused to take any remedial action for these other customers either...and of course, especially for US buyers, it's practically impossible to return.

Anyway, hopefully I won't have more problems with it, but I did want to warn other potential buyers not to expect their coop to arrive in great shape, or any help from the company when it doesn't! I'm still hoping the chickens will like it better than I do. ;)

Below is a sample of the scratches - much of the coop looks this way.

I've learned that purchasing a pre-made coop is a bad idea. I didn't get the Eglu Cube but I bought a red barn premade coop that I came to hate. I've had a lot of cosmetic issues with it as well. It actually costs less to build or have someone build you a coop if you purchase the materials and just hire someone to put it together. And if you design it, you will love it. Plus it will last longer! I'm sorry about the omlet company's poor customer service!

How did your assembly go? Mine arrived yesterday and my wiring was bent...but we were able to straighten it out.

We are having he worst time putting it together though...there are big gaps on the side...we will have to take it apart and try again.

I still haven't tried the assembly - I'm dreading it and waiting till a friend can help out, and also till some excavation going on at my house is done. I'm worried about the gaps too though, as after the coop arrived in such a mess, I started googling ''problems with Eglu'' and apparently the gaps thing happens fairly frequently. There are a few threads on it on Omlet's own forum, such as http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38019. It sounds like Omlet is no more helpful to those customers than they have been to me. How they can keep saying ''there's nothing wrong with the coop'' when people are showing them such clear evidence to the contrary, I don't know! Anyway, good luck, and please keep me posted if you find a solution to the gaps problem or manage to get any help from Omlet. Someone on the new members forum, where I also posted and mentioned my Eglu problem, suggested telling Omlet that I'm a Backyard Chickens member and reminding them how many people read this forum! So maybe we could try that...though they probably won't care given that when I bought, they had already sold out of their entire US stock except in two colors...

So after a million hours assembling and reassembling...our cube is leaking badly. The plastic looks warped on one side and we are getting leaking into both sides.

I am so bummed but I don't think there is any fixing this unit...we are going to return it.

I'll see how easy exchanging it will be...I'm just nervous that he ones available will be leaky like mine or badly scuffed like yours.

So after a million hours assembling and reassembling...our cube is leaking badly. The plastic looks warped on one side and we are getting leaking into both sides.

I am so bummed but I don't think there is any fixing this unit...we are going to return it.

I'll see how easy exchanging it will be...I'm just nervous that he ones available will be leaky like mine or badly scuffed like yours.
Ugh, that's awful! I'm so worried now that mine will be warped too. Going to try assembling it next week with the help of a friend. Please let me know how the return process goes. Are you based in the UK or US? I'm not even sure how I'd begin to return mine, since they only ship it via Greyhound depot over here (US), the nearest Greyhound is 2 hours away from me and I can't even fit the coop into my car (I had to pay someone with a truck $135 to pick it up). Grr.

First I would like to say I'm sorry you had such a bad experience for your first coop. I know how daunting the task of building something might be for a non DIYer, however, for the cost of that coop you could have purchased the tools AND the materials, had the learning experience of building a coop and have the tools left over to do your next one. Or fix something you wouldn't have to pay someone else to do. I guess that's pretty easy to say for someone who started making things at 8. But my theory is, all projects are like stepping stones. You start with something easy & just keep going from there. In my neck of the woods, there's dozens of people, on CL, that could build a custom coop for that price or less & have it tailored to your needs if you really had to go that route. I hope it will serve it's purpose in the mean time without any more problems.

First I would like to say I'm sorry you had such a bad experience for your first coop. I know how daunting the task of building something might be for a non DIYer, however, for the cost of that coop you could have purchased the tools AND the materials, had the learning experience of building a coop and have the tools left over to do your next one. Or fix something you wouldn't have to pay someone else to do. I guess that's pretty easy to say for someone who started making things at 8. But my theory is, all projects are like stepping stones. You start with something easy & just keep going from there. In my neck of the woods, there's dozens of people, on CL, that could build a custom coop for that price or less & have it tailored to your needs if you really had to go that route. I hope it will serve it's purpose in the mean time without any more problems.
Unfortunately, it's not the case where I live that there are lots of (or even any) people available to do that kind of work competently and for a reasonable price. Believe me, I know, because since I moved into this house over a year ago, I've been trying to find someone to do things on the house that absolutely must be done. The result has been throwing money away on one incompetent ''handyman'' after another, and nothing has been done properly. I'm still living in a construction zone. As for doing it myself, it's not just a question of tools and materials and knowledge, but of strength, agility and balance, which I simply don't have. I do do everything I possibly can myself, but carpentry is not one of those things.

If you received a product that is damaged/doesn't work, and the manufacturer/retailer aren't doing anything to help - your first step should be to call your credit card company. They'll put pressure on them, and if they don't help, they'll do a chargeback.

Sorry your new chicken-owning experience isn't going well! I have long thought the eglu products were so, so cute... But I watched the video and thought everything was just too clean and easy to be real. I also felt it wasn't nearly enough space for the number of chickens they said it would hold, and my goodness, the PRICE! Attractive to look at but not suited to its purpose.

Anyway, for any seller to blow you off when you are a customer concerned about your purchase is just rude and wrong, even if we are on the other side of the pond, and even though I don't think those scratches will amount to anything (but they also won't go away!). Could you try to call them? Sometimes you can be more convincing on the phone than e-mail.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Back
Top Bottom