Emergency! Baby chick impacted crop

axg17

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2021
Hi everyone, I have a chick who is 9 days old. Since we have had her she has been very lethargic and not eating, but she does have water. Yesterday I noticed that her crop felt ‘dough-y’ on her right side, but the rest of it was fine. Today I gave her a couple drops of olive oil and massaged it, when I noticed something on the right of her back, just below her neck (see photos). It is like a grey, see-through bubble which I have not noticed before as it can only be seen from a certain angle. This is my first time raising chicks so I am not sure what it is and my other chicks are too fluffy for me to see this area- can someone please tell me what it could be and if it is related to her crop?
All help is appreciated.

Attachments

• BA646D31-F2D2-42AE-AB5F-12CB68254A45.jpeg
    BA646D31-F2D2-42AE-AB5F-12CB68254A45.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 9C5F0E2D-E381-4C0A-A79B-C61785C0883C.jpeg
    9C5F0E2D-E381-4C0A-A79B-C61785C0883C.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi everyone, I have a chick who is 9 days old. Since we have had her she has been very lethargic and not eating, but she does have water. Yesterday I noticed that her crop felt ‘dough-y’ on her right side, but the rest of it was fine. Today I gave her a couple drops of olive oil and massaged it, when I noticed something on the right of her back, just below her neck (see photos). It is like a grey, see-through bubble which I have not noticed before as it can only be seen from a certain angle. This is my first time raising chicks so I am not sure what it is and my other chicks are too fluffy for me to see this area- can someone please tell me what it could be and if it is related to her crop?
All help is appreciated.
@Eggcessive

It could be an air bubble or still part of the crop. I would try to get her drinking some water, and electrolytes or a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench would be good. Has she been passing droppings or having any pasty butt or constipation?

It could be an air bubble or still part of the crop. I would try to get her drinking some water, and electrolytes or a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench would be good. Has she been passing droppings or having any pasty butt or constipation?

Thank you. She is drinking some water when we give it to her- I’m just cautious not to give her too much because I don’t want her to get the bubbles from drinking too much. She has been passing droppings- she usually goes around 4 times a day, because she isn’t eating much.

Back
Top Bottom