EMERGENCY - chick born with a yolk sack - it burst, is there any way to help?

choco_

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2022
No i did not help it get out of the shell, it was pratically out and while i did pick it up to see if it needed help, i put it back down once i saw the sack, now the nest is covered in blood and the yolk, the chick is very weak, is there any way to help it recover or is that just a sure death?

No i did not help it get out of the shell, it was pratically out and while i did pick it up to see if it needed help, i put it back down once i saw the sack, now the nest is covered in blood and the yolk, the chick is very weak, is there any way to help it recover or is that just a sure death?
Depends on the severity of the problem, To my knowledge , the only thing you can do is wrap the little one in foil like in this picture.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/account/th-attachment-manager/2663046/view
(not mine, maybe a friends as it is in my uploads on this forum) but I've done it like this as well and they survived. However if they lost a significant amount of blood, the chance of survival will decrease... let alone the risk of infection... But since the damage is done maybe it's word a try?

nr 1. I would make sure she is in a warm and very clean environment

@Miss Lydia do you have additional or different tips?

Depends on the severity of the problem, To my knowledge , the only thing you can do is wrap the little one in foil like in this picture.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/account/th-attachment-manager/2663046/view
(not mine, maybe a friends as it is in my uploads on this forum) but I've done it like this as well and they survived. However if they lost a significant amount of blood, the chance of survival will decrease... let alone the risk of infection... But since the damage is done maybe it's word a try?

nr 1. I would make sure she is in a warm and very clean environment

@Miss Lydia do you have additional or different tips?
I have isolated them, i put them in a small plastic pot with some paper towels and im keeping them warm, they seem to be getting a little more lively, and i dont think its their blood that they lost, I think it was the one who was in the sack? I was able to detach the egg shells that were stuck to her but a part of the sack is still stuck to them, they are breathing well

I have isolated them, i put them in a small plastic pot with some paper towels and im keeping them warm, they seem to be getting a little more lively, and i dont think its their blood that they lost, I think it was the one who was in the sack? I was able to detach the egg shells that were stuck to her but a part of the sack is still stuck to them, they are breathing well
I'm sorry, I don't understand you completely. English is my second language, I apologize...
For my understanding, In the first post you talk about 1 chick with a ruptured yolk sack and blood and yolk in the nest right?

Now you write them/ they which for me is plural.
Did you separate the "healthy" ones and did the chick with the ruptured yolksac die?
Or are you using them/they pronounces because you don't know the gender yet?
Sorry if I cause any confusion...

I'm sorry, I don't understand you completely. English is my second language, I apologize...
For my understanding, In the first post you talk about 1 chick with a ruptured yolk sack and blood and yolk in the nest right?

Now you write them/ they which for me is plural.
Did you separate the "healthy" ones and did the chick with the ruptured yolksac die?
Or are you using them/they pronounces because you don't know the gender yet?
Sorry if I cause any confusion...
No problem, im using they/them since i dont know the gender, but its one chick, im talking about the same one

No problem, im using they/them since i dont know the gender, but its one chick, im talking about the same one
Thank you for clearing things up! Glad I asked :)
Check the bellybutton of your little one... how does it look? Is it a big raw patch or does it look normal? Feel free to upload a picture of the belly of your little one

Thank you for clearing things up! Glad I asked :)
Check the bellybutton of your little one... how does it look? Is it a big raw patch or does it look normal? Feel free to upload a picture of the belly of your little one
They look normal, at least to me, just smaller than the rest, they havent opened their eyes yet, they have these two things attached which i cant remove as it seems its stuck to the lower side of their abdomen

Attachments

• 20231110_164839_(1).jpg
    20231110_164839_(1).jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 39
that does NOT look normal to me! DON'T pull on this.
This is the one with the ruptured yolksac. The wide part should be attached to the part which stays in the egg...

I would get a string and ty it off so it can't bleed anymore and keep the chick clean and warm. Than maybe it has a (maybe rather small) chance to survive (depending on the amount of blood lost. If you see more action, it's a good sign.
However, I have ducks so will ask for a second opinion with chicken people...

@WoDia @DobieLover Do you think this little chick has still a chance to survive?

that does NOT look normal to me! DON'T pull on this.
This is the one with the ruptured yolksac

I would get a string and ty it off so it can't bleed anymore and keep the chick clean and warm. Than maybe it has a (maybe rather small) chance to survive. If you see more action, it's a good sign.
However, I have ducks so will ask for a second opinion with chicken people...

@WoDia @DobieLover Do you think this little chick has still a chance to survive?
They do seem a lot more lively, they also arent bleeding, they just have those two things attached to them which is why I have been keeping them still unless they themselves move

Back
Top Bottom