emergency chick with Coccidiosis. Help

hugs.gif

Quote:
Thanks Kittymomma i just hope i dont lose anymore i got 4 left out of the original 6.. 1 SLW roo ( lost the pullet 2day ). & 3 dorkings 1 roo 2 pullets i think. lost 1 pullet a week ago.

I'm not sure how long it will be before you can get the meds, but the good news is that they usually respond quickly once treatment is started. I hope that it all goes well and that the rest of them make it.

Since you're in NZ you might see if Baycox is more readily available if you have trouble getting Amprolium.
Oxytetracycline and Terramycin are the same thing... it's a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Last edited:
Quote:
thanks for that info. i will ring the vet in the morning & see if she can get Baycox. do i still need to treat with that since they are on Oxytetracycline??

Quote:
thanks for that info. i will ring the vet in the morning & see if she can get Baycox. do i still need to treat with that since they are on Oxytetracycline??

If it's Coccidiosis the antibiotic won't cure them... it does sound like it could be cocci.

ok thanks so i need to tell my vet i need that asap. they were looking better tonite ( except the 1 that died ) the other 4 were running round tonite like nothing was wrong. & they havnt gone off the food that much but they are drinking alot of water which i guess is good coz its got the antibiotics in it.

well the remaining four look better this morning & there is no more bloody poop it the coup.

the dorking roo even has color back in his comb.

Last edited:
the next question is where did they get it from? as the last lot of chicks didnt get it. these ones have been outside since we got them at 4-6 wks old, & were outside before we got them. could they have had it before we got them or did they get it from here. they are away from the older chooks & the older chooks have never really been in the area where they are.
i will be trying to get some Baycox as ive also got a broody on some eggs & i dont want to go throu this with her chicks aswell.

Back
Top Bottom