EMERGENCY!: duck was attacked by raccoon, feathers and skin ripped off of neck

saaintdee

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2022
Last night one of my drakes was attacked by a raccoon. All of the feathers and skin have been ripped off of the back of his neck, I'm not sure if the same goes for the front. I also believe that he is now blind in one eye as I can see his right eye socket stick out from his head. He's not moving much right now, he has his head resting on the side of his box and has been like that for about an hour now. He was moving around a little not too long ago, he would even occasionally drink water. He's been crying and I completely freaked out because I have no idea how to care for his wound at all, let alone without scaring him more.

Please help me!!! I want him to live but can't afford a pet hospital right now. I am willing to care for him until he's better, he's one of my pets after all. Let me know any tips or something that can help me. Thank you all.

Below is a photo of his current resting position.
TRIGGER WARNING: wounded duck

983C3DC5-B696-4EFD-A9BA-8171563FA013.jpeg

Last night one of my drakes was attacked by a raccoon. All of the feathers and skin have been ripped off of the back of his neck, I'm not sure if the same goes for the front. I also believe that he is now blind in one eye as I can see his right eye socket stick out from his head. He's not moving much right now, he has his head resting on the side of his box and has been like that for about an hour now. He was moving around a little not too long ago, he would even occasionally drink water. He's been crying and I completely freaked out because I have no idea how to care for his wound at all, let alone without scaring him more.

Please help me!!! I want him to live but can't afford a pet hospital right now. I am willing to care for him until he's better, he's one of my pets after all. Let me know any tips or something that can help me. Thank you all.

View attachment 3047226
I am so sorry about your duck. Those wounds look extremely severe. In this case I would stress going to an avian or farm vet. The wound looks extensive and it likely needs stitches/a drain/antibiotics/etc.

I'll tag some users in case they have any other advice. @Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia

Treat for shock as the number one
step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half
teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup
of warm water with a pinch of salt and
baking soda. Have the patient drink it all
or syringe it into the beak, and bring them in to a quiet warm place.
Flush the wound well with saline. this
is better than soap and water as it
maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound. Also you will need to start a course of antibiotics. @Miss Lydia would be able to advise you best. But treat for shock asap.

Treat for shock as the number one
step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half
teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup
of warm water with a pinch of salt and
baking soda. Have the patient drink it all
or syringe it into the beak, and bring them in to a quiet warm place.
Flush the wound well with saline. this
is better than soap and water as it
maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound. Also you will need to start a course of antibiotics. @Miss Lydia would be able to advise you best. But treat for shock asap.
I put some pedialyte in his water but i think i will use a syringe now since hes stopped moving. Going to the store later. Thank you!!

I am so sorry about your duck. Those wounds look extremely severe. In this case I would stress going to an avian or farm vet. The wound looks extensive and it likely needs stitches/a drain/antibiotics/etc.

I'll tag some users in case they have any other advice. @Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia
I can't afford it at the moment sadly :( it was my immediate instinct but I just can't go.

We had a turkey hen rippr

View attachment 3047226

d up by a crazed Tom. Her gut

View attachment 3047226
If you can cover the injury after cleaning (as suggested in other posts) it helps a lot. Exposed nerves and open wounds contribute to shock.
We used hen healer on our ripped open turkey hen to keep the wound covered.
Simulating "skin" over the wound.
Softened and applied with clean gauze.
Good luck.

When giving anything by mouth be extremely careful and just small drops right inside his mouth. You don’t want the Liquid to go down into his lungs. Saline to wash the wound is good then spray the heck out of it often with Veterycin plus TSC carries it. He needs to be kept in a semi dark area and warm till he’s out of shock. And while you are waiting make sure to reinforce how the raccoon got to him to begin with. He’ll be back.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom