Emergency found in road

Adouglas573

Hatching
Dec 17, 2023
I found this chicken this morning in the middle of the road with no houses nearby, I'm not a chicken person so there's no risk to it infecting a flock but I'd like to help it if I could. I got it home and cleaned it up and found an infected hole near the neck under the right wing. I cleaned it out with sterile water and sprayed with nexall. Do you think it has any chance? It's up eating and drinking (a friend said to give it a boiled egg and plain oatmeal).

Attachments

• 20231217_094254.jpg
    20231217_094254.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 41
It still looks the same unfortunately, it's pretty bad. And the smell is like straight stomach acid. I think it may be through the crop and the contests of it is still in there. There's a lot of grass and these white looking rock things.

What I like to do is very carefully pluck the feathers about 1/2" back from the wound edge. This is called creating a margin.doing this will help us see the extent of the wound.
If it is the crop can I scoop all of this out without further injuring the bird.
If what you are seeing is an exposed, open crop, the crop edges need to be cleaned, debrided and sewed back together.

This is after plucking and cleaning again. It's definitely the crop and there's a lot of rotting skin around it.

Attachments

• 20231217_155410.jpg
    20231217_155410.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 17
So I have a small vet clinic at my house. I don't do chickens but I raise dogs so I have sutures and everything under the sun for emergencies for my fur babies. If you think she has a chance I can clean the crop and suture. I messaged my vet also but he's usually pretty scarce on Sundays. The muscle behind the injury looks fine and has no visible wound its just the skin and the crop.

Back
Top Bottom