EMERGENCY! HELP! Chicken with bloody vent.

Yes, she did. I think perhaps, she had the prolapse the day before I caught it. I hope that doesn't doom her. My mother doesn't want her to suffer and she is muttering about culling, but I would probably go insane if we had to. I am already a wreck from losing 2 other of my girls in the past 2 weeks or less.

Yes, she did. I think perhaps, she had the prolapse the day before I caught it. I hope that doesn't doom her. My mother doesn't want her to suffer and she is muttering about culling, but I would probably go insane if we had to. I am already a wreck from losing 2 other of my girls in the past 2 weeks or less.
I don’t think culling is needed at this point. But it will take a lot of TLC to get your hen through this If you are confident there is no broken egg or blockage 🙏

There is no blockage I am confident of that. She is straining because the scabbing is so bad she is uncomfortable and feels like she needs to release something.

:hugs Im so sorry.

I just skimmed through this, is it possible she laid a internal egg? Or she tried laying a very big one?

Im not to sure whats happening but i really hope she improves!

For the pictures. Is it possible you could borrow a phone, like your moms phone (or tablet, even. Whatever you can do) and send it to your computer? Or long into BYC on the device you took a picture with?

Pictures are very useful to help determine whats happening.

Her vent is too dirty to get a clear picture, even after I clean it, by the time I get back she has pushed it out and gotten it dirty again.

There is no blockage I am confident of that. She is straining because the scabbing is so bad she is uncomfortable and feels like she needs to release something.
If you are absolutely confident, I would keep cleaning, keep the prolapse moist and keep trying to gently push it back in. Can you get hold of vetrycin, I swear by that, I use it on my horses, dogs and chickens, I even use it to clean my bulldogs ears and eyes.

Her vent is too dirty to get a clear picture, even after I clean it, by the time I get back she has pushed it out and gotten it dirty again.
Separate her from the others, make sure its clean. Put her in a area where she CANNOT put dirt back in it. Like a large comfortable crate.

Back
Top Bottom