EMERGENCY! HELP! Chicken with bloody vent.

We did get her cleaned up and got her vent pushed back in. It stayed for about 20-30 minutes and then she pushed it back out again, and it is dirty again. My mother believes that the other chickens were pecking at it quite a bit.

It looks more like runny poop. I assume because we haven't fed her since we found the prolapse.

Is taking her to a vet an option, to get her checked over? Without clear pictures, and the little bit of information we have, it is hard to help, it could be a number of things. How is she looking/acting now?

She is more lethargic but she is still acting somewhat normal. The nearest vet for chickens is in Portland OR, and 75% of the time they just tell you to cull, which is not an option for this chicken. I would take a picture if I could but it is never clean long enough to be able to take a picture.

She is more lethargic but she is still acting somewhat normal. The nearest vet for chickens is in Portland OR, and 75% of the time they just tell you to cull, which is not an option for this chicken. I would take a picture if I could but it is never clean long enough to be able to take a picture.
I’m my opinion, if it is never clean long enough to take a picture, she has to be backed up, there is definitely a blockage or some kind of obstruction. If a vet is not an option, I would keep going with the advice already given, calcium, hydration, electrolytes, keeping the prolapse clean and moist, it is important not to let it dry out. Keep trying to gently push the prolapse back in and keep her separated. Good luck and update please 🙏

Have you tried to make a prolapse bra? or maybe it's called it a vetwrap bra or vetwrap sling? There was a clever article or thread on here where someone was using vetwrap and a modified yoga pants leg (stretchy tube) to keep prolapsed vent inside a chicken - they actually had her in a sling inside a dog crate where she could just barely touch the ground (couldn't push it out or get away or flap). I don't have the link to it, but have you seen that? Might help keep the prolapse inside when you can't be there in person.

Back
Top Bottom