EMERGENCY! HELP! Chicken with bloody vent.

Have you tried to make a prolapse bra? or maybe it's called it a vetwrap bra or vetwrap sling? There was a clever article or thread on here where someone was using vetwrap and a modified yoga pants leg (stretchy tube) to keep prolapsed vent inside a chicken - they actually had her in a sling inside a dog crate where she could just barely touch the ground (couldn't push it out or get away or flap). I don't have the link to it, but have you seen that? Might help keep the prolapse inside when you can't be there in person.
Like this?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/

I showed it to my mom and she looked a lot more hopeful. I think that this might help a lot. Thank You!

The scabbing can heal over time. If she is strong enough to withstand the soaks every day, that cannhelp to heal her. Are younfeeding her now? She needs nutrition, and a little bowl of wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, and even canned cat food or tuna are some things to tempt her. Water is most important.

She keeps on pushing the vent out so I have been scared to feed her. every time she pushes it out and we have to push it back in, it starts to bleed again and we are scared that if we feed her, she will get even more poop in the wounds. She isn't really drinking but we got her to eat some special soaked chicken food. We put a little bit of yogurt in it for calcium and probiotics.

She keeps on pushing the vent out so I have been scared to feed her. every time she pushes it out and we have to push it back in, it starts to bleed again and we are scared that if we feed her, she will get even more poop in the wounds. She isn't really drinking but we got her to eat some special soaked chicken food. We put a little bit of yogurt in it for calcium and probiotics.
And this is the thing, I was hesitant to advise you to give calcium, I didn’t know if that would make the prolapse worse until one of our more experienced members advised it. If you have never been through anything like this before, it is really scary knowing what to do for the best! I feel your pain. :hugs You are doing everything you can, you can’t do anymore.

There is no egg blockage, so we are pretty sure she is straining because of the scabs. Should I keep giving her calcium?

I honestly wouldn’t be confident enough to advise maybe @Eggcessive or @azygous could. I wouldn’t want to give you wrong advice. In my opinion, something caused that prolapse. If she had laid an egg on the same day she had the prolapse , that could be the cause (you mentioned she had laid eggs with bits of blood on previously) 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom