EMERGENCY! HELP! Chicken with bloody vent.

Pics
I put petroleum jelly on her vent and tried the belt idea again. So far, her vent is staying in, even though she keeps straining.

HELP. Today I couldn't find my recovering hen and I found her making a nest behind my garbage bin. She hasn't been eating or drinking since yesterday evening and she has been super lethargic. It is a wild turn compared to how she has been doing the past couple of weeks. She is in her kennel right now. She is laying down and her eyes are closed. She keeps straining and I think she is trying to lay an egg but I am super worried because she keeps falling asleep and she has been acting weird for the past 20 hours. PLEASE HELP

HELP. Today I couldn't find my recovering hen and I found her making a nest behind my garbage bin. She hasn't been eating or drinking since yesterday evening and she has been super lethargic. It is a wild turn compared to how she has been doing the past couple of weeks. She is in her kennel right now. She is laying down and her eyes are closed. She keeps straining and I think she is trying to lay an egg but I am super worried because she keeps falling asleep and she has been acting weird for the past 20 hours. PLEASE HELP
How is your hen doing? Did you give her more calcium citrate and Vit D? Have you been syringe feeding/watering her? Have you had her on antibiotics? Sorry to hear she's not doing well again.

Here's an article I found yesterday that might be helpful. So sorry your hen is going through this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Have you taken her to the vets? They might be able to give you antibiotics or something for her. So sorry your hen is going through this, I know how it feels when one that means a lot to you is sick ❤️

I would keep her hydrated, electrolytes and and carry on with the calcium if she is trying to lay an egg, this will help her contract, as advice already given. Did you use the sling to keep her prolapse in? I am really interested because I don’t see how she could poop with a sling that keeps her vent restricted , if you did try this method, maybe she has been backed up and infection has set in? I am really curious and interested to know, best wishes. I hope your girl has a speedy recovery 🙏 best wishes

Everything went fine after this incident for a while. Until she contracted egg block 3 days ago. She fought hard and we did everything we could but she finally gave up today. She died not 20 minutes ago...

Back
Top Bottom