Emergency help please not sure if I need to put them out missed or try save them . Something got in my coop last night killed all my chickens .

Dawnhaschickens

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
image.jpg
Please
71397315138__CDB54DDD-4EEA-4E28-9775-ACCA9FB82147.jpeg

Very sorry for your losses!

Are their eyes still intact?

I would try to treat them first as one still has the option to help them out of their misery if they don't respond.

Give them some sugar water or Gatorade for shock.

Clean the wounds to determine the seriousness.

Spray them with vetiricine or slather on triple abtibiotic ointment and keep them in a warm and not too light environment to rest.

Feed them scrambled eggs, their usual pellets and some millet and add vitamins and minerals to their water.

If they will not drink on their own, syringe carefully several times a day to keep them hydrated and restore the blood loss.

I hope they will pull through :fl

Eyes intact my polish Pullet won’t open his eyes but he will drink with dropper. He is one that has a long vein thing out neck but he is breathing and will drink when I put him in box he will move legs around . I have vet Rx not sure any help also washed warm water on white one it doesn’t appear to damaged she opens eyes drink dropper . I also put heal cel poultry spray on wound. It says for pecking sores pasty vent fungus hoping it is right. What else should I try on wounds does anything human use work to heal. Should I keep waking them to give water I have probiotics for water I been giving to News chicks. I have them with me in house now . Thanks help there are no vets for me where I live that help birds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 25
I second the vetiricine. It's proven effective for us many times. Were most of the injuries in the same area of the birds like above? I'm so sorry for your loss.

Yes same area neck seems on all nothing else it seem to attack. The picture below is my polish Pullet see what likes vein hanging out ?

Attachments

• 71397318067__EEEAD3D5-DFA4-4D20-B45E-E309E7CF66C9.jpeg
    71397318067__EEEAD3D5-DFA4-4D20-B45E-E309E7CF66C9.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 23
Often times head and neck injuries alone can mean something reached through wire or fencing and grabbed them, tried to pull them through. What kind of wire or fencing do you have? Size of openings? I don't know what that is hanging, could be some torn tissue, coaglulated blood, etc. Right now you need to treat for shock, fluids, get them warm, keep them in a quiet area until they are less shocky. Fluids are most important. Slightly warmed, electrolites if you have them, gatorade can work in a pinch, you can make your own electrolites if needed, or sugar water. Keep them hydrated, help them recover from the shock. As long as there is no active bleeding going on, then the rest is less important until then.
Home made electrolite solution recipe here:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2017/05/how-to-make-homemade-electrolytes-for.html

Neck area attacks can be an indication of weasels, ermine, mink or generally the Mustela genus. They often kill entire flocks, the initial birds for nutrition, the remaining for sport. Quite vicious. One cannot be certain without visually seeing them, as noted before it could be a animal reaching in, but evidence seems to strongly indicate weasels.

Pictures would be helpful, of your set up. Whatever it was got in somehow, we might be able to help you prevent it from happening again.

Back
Top Bottom