Emergency - Lethargic Cockerel

amaxwell0109

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2020
Hey there,

I have a 4 month old cockerel who is quite lethargic. He's not eating or drinking on his own and stands with his head huddled close to his body. He's a Golden Laced Polish and weighs approximately 3.5 lbs. He stands huddled over or lays down. This has been happening since Monday morning. He was fine Sunday and acting his normal self. No other birds are exhibiting these symptoms and he is quarantined. He has no external bleeding or noticeable injuries. He did lose some tail feathers from some of the hens pecking him. He was separated so he could regrow his feathers and have access to food and water without being bullied. He was already separated when this began. He normally eats Kalmbach feed flock maintainer. Right now he is on a watered version of that and is being spoon fed along with lots of water and electrolytes. His poop is green (very dark) and runny. He has been given electrolytes, some nutridrench, mash mixed with honey for the last few days. I've tried getting him to the vet, but unfortunately no vets within the area are accepting new patients or will see chickens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey there,

I have a 4 month old cockerel who is quite lethargic. He's not eating or drinking on his own and stands with his head huddled close to his body. He's a Golden Laced Polish and weighs approximately 3.5 lbs. He stands huddled over or lays down. This has been happening since Monday morning. He was fine Sunday and acting his normal self. No other birds are exhibiting these symptoms and he is quarantined. He has no external bleeding or noticeable injuries. He did lose some tail feathers from some of the hens pecking him. He was separated so he could regrow his feathers and have access to food and water without being bullied. He was already separated when this began. He normally eats Kalmbach feed flock maintainer. Right now he is on a watered version of that and is being spoon fed along with lots of water and electrolytes. His poop is green (very dark) and runny. He has been given electrolytes, some nutridrench, mash mixed with honey for the last few days. I've tried getting him to the vet, but unfortunately no vets within the area are accepting new patients or will see chickens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Welcome To BYC!
Can you post some photos of him and his poop?

Can you see if he was pecked in the head too besides the tail? How long was he separated before the symptoms?

I would check to make sure his crop is emptying, look him over really well for lice/mites.
Huddling - he may be suffering from Coccidiosis.
Keep him hydrated and let us know how he's doing.

Is he able to hold his head up? Hard to tell by looking at the top of him.

Keep trying to get fluids into him, if the crop was not empty this morning, I would not push a lot of food - see if fluids helps break whatever is in there down and moves it out.
His poop looks mucousy. Have you ever treated for Coccidiosis?
Hard to know which direction to go - he's a crested bird so neurological problems may be an issue, Marek's disease also comes to mind along with Coccidiosis - just guesses though.
I would be inclined to give him 400IU Vitamin E once a day. Treat for Coccidiosis with Corid and monitor the crop. If it's not emptying, then begin treatment for that too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I picked up Corid, so I am going to start treating for that and the Vitamin E. Thank you for the suggestions!

Welcome To BYC!
Can you post some photos of him and his poop?

Can you see if he was pecked in the head too besides the tail? How long was he separated before the symptoms?

I would check to make sure his crop is emptying, look him over really well for lice/mites.
Huddling - he may be suffering from Coccidiosis.
Keep him hydrated and let us know how he's doing.

Hey,

He wasn't pecked in the head or at least that I can see. There were no open wounds, just a few broken blood feathers, which had to be carefully removed. He was acting normal and didn't seem to notice them being plucked out. He was separated for 3-5 days before he started acting funny. I'm not 100% sure how long. I've check for mice/lice and there's no sign of any. His crop had been empty, but it looks like there may be an issue today, as it wasn't empty this morning. He is staying hydrated, which appears to be helping and he perks up a little bit after he's been given it. He still is not independently eating or drinking. I've attached a picture of how he's been acting and a picture of his poop. He's occupying a plastic tote at the moment, and the bedding and tote are being cleaned daily along with anything he comes into contact with. I'm hoping he can hang in there long enough for me to get him into somewhere ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 62630919615__F5F46C46-EB76-4051-B6D5-C1A9113A2F83.JPG
    62630919615__F5F46C46-EB76-4051-B6D5-C1A9113A2F83.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 9
Hey,

He wasn't pecked in the head or at least that I can see. There were no open wounds, just a few broken blood feathers, which had to be carefully removed. He was acting normal and didn't seem to notice them being plucked out. He was separated for 3-5 days before he started acting funny. I'm not 100% sure how long. I've check for mice/lice and there's no sign of any. His crop had been empty, but it looks like there may be an issue today, as it wasn't empty this morning. He is staying hydrated, which appears to be helping and he perks up a little bit after he's been given it. He still is not independently eating or drinking. I've attached a picture of how he's been acting and a picture of his poop. He's occupying a plastic tote at the moment, and the bedding and tote are being cleaned daily along with anything he comes into contact with. I'm hoping he can hang in there long enough for me to get him into somewhere ASAP.
What does his crop feel like? Does it feel like a balloon which is filled with liquid?

He was separated for 3-5 days before he started acting funny. I'm not 100% sure how long. I've check for mice/lice and there's no sign of any. His crop had been empty, but it looks like there may be an issue today, as it wasn't empty this morning.

He still is not independently eating or drinking.
Is he able to hold his head up? Hard to tell by looking at the top of him.

Keep trying to get fluids into him, if the crop was not empty this morning, I would not push a lot of food - see if fluids helps break whatever is in there down and moves it out.
His poop looks mucousy. Have you ever treated for Coccidiosis?
Hard to know which direction to go - he's a crested bird so neurological problems may be an issue, Marek's disease also comes to mind along with Coccidiosis - just guesses though.
I would be inclined to give him 400IU Vitamin E once a day. Treat for Coccidiosis with Corid and monitor the crop. If it's not emptying, then begin treatment for that too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom