Emergency. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rarebear, Jul 24, 2013.

1. rarebear

rarebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have a 6 week old Swedish Flower Hen that I noticed was sitting next to the waterer. She seems to 'vomit' a lot of water and is acting very lethargic and tired. She can't stay awake and is very limp.She sis falling to her side. They always have access to fresh cool water. It has also been hot here and it always has access to deep shade. She readily allowed me to pick her up which she never has with out running. I have in her the house . She is getting worse by the minute, The vomit doesn't have an odor. None of the others are sick.

2. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Give her drops of electrolytes right away. like Pedialyte. liquid vitamins diluted in the pedialyte

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would wonder if it was heat stroke, impacted crop from eating long stands of grass or something that blocked her crop, or an infection like coccidiosis since she is the right age.

4. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    She just died. More very watery liquid with small grainy yellow particles came out of her mouth. She jerked around and then died. I am sick.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry to hear this.

6. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    May have been crop mycosis aka sour crop. Probably candida.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have seen vomiting of clear water on very hot days when the hens are suffering from the heat. I am sorry for your loss.

8. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thank you, I wish I had discovered her earlier. I am home 24/7 and with them and check on them all day long.

9. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    What do you do for your hens when that happens?

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by