Emotions Tied to Culling

If you process them and want to pluck, rather than skin, wait until the molt is complete, as the incoming pin feathers are impossible to pluck.

That is the truth. We've started pressure canning the meat off of our old layers and those cans of meat are awesome in soups, burritos etc. The bones make incredible broth. That is the biggest reason why I butcher, rather than sell, older hens. My husband considers the meat (and chicken fat) to be irreplaceable in terms of good eating.
Hey thanks about the info on moulting..between you and 3killerbs I'm good to go 👍

I think that shows something, like he must understand that he's now alone and his friends are gone?

A flock/herd animal on it's own is a sad thing.

I haven't had my remaining chickens deciding that I'm a danger after the culling was done -- either through butchering or selling -- but I have had some hens rearranging their social structure because I sold the ones they hung out with.

Going to revive this rather dead thread due to some frustrations I am feeling on this topic.

I recently hatched 12 silkies out and having been raising them, absolutely loving my time with them. However, we are not able to keep cocks so once they start crowing they got to be going. To make the story as short as possible, I tried getting rid of them for free and no one wanted them, two people responded to me asking me if I'd take theirs from them lol.

2 weeks ago, I killed two of the biggest males who'd been crowing for a couple of weeks, they were actually my two favourites and I really wanted to see them go elsewhere.. today I did two more males, they started crowing last weekend. I killed all four birds using the broomstick method and skinned them for just their legs and breasts as they're quite small birds anyway.

I work with all women in childcare, it's a team of eight of us and they all know my hobbies with birds and my poultry/quails. They are really quite judgemental about the whole thing and constantly say to me, "how can you love birds and do that?" I explain that with the chickens, I do love them, I do not want to kill them but there are no other options. With the quail, I raise them for meat and ensure they have a good diet and great life.

They'll make plenty of jokes such as, "do you say, 'oh thanks Barry you were so tasty'?" Which would be funny if it wasn't for their distorted beliefs. It's started getting to me (going thru a lot outside of work ATM so it's adding up) and I just want to find something to say that'll shut them up. I'm happy with what I do and I will not change what I do, I only told them as they asked about it and I try to be as honest as I can.

Would love to hear any of your experiences

Going to revive this rather dead thread due to some frustrations I am feeling on this topic.

I recently hatched 12 silkies out and having been raising them, absolutely loving my time with them. However, we are not able to keep cocks so once they start crowing they got to be going. To make the story as short as possible, I tried getting rid of them for free and no one wanted them, two people responded to me asking me if I'd take theirs from them lol.

2 weeks ago, I killed two of the biggest males who'd been crowing for a couple of weeks, they were actually my two favourites and I really wanted to see them go elsewhere.. today I did two more males, they started crowing last weekend. I killed all four birds using the broomstick method and skinned them for just their legs and breasts as they're quite small birds anyway.

I work with all women in childcare, it's a team of eight of us and they all know my hobbies with birds and my poultry/quails. They are really quite judgemental about the whole thing and constantly say to me, "how can you love birds and do that?" I explain that with the chickens, I do love them, I do not want to kill them but there are no other options. With the quail, I raise them for meat and ensure they have a good diet and great life.

They'll make plenty of jokes such as, "do you say, 'oh thanks Barry you were so tasty'?" Which would be funny if it wasn't for their distorted beliefs. It's started getting to me (going thru a lot outside of work ATM so it's adding up) and I just want to find something to say that'll shut them up. I'm happy with what I do and I will not change what I do, I only told them as they asked about it and I try to be as honest as I can.

Would love to hear any of your experiences
I'd tell them that I raise the birds a lot better then the ones they are eating at KFC..also I'd tell em to stick it..

For me..I usually do the gutting/plucking and hubby does the actual killing part. Well these last 2 times he had hip issues and had been in bed close to 3 weeks so I butchered and dispatched using the broomstick method...it was quick and had to be done. I didn't feel bad about it..they had nice lives and were fed well. From now on I will do the killing part to...I feel completely capable.

Back
Top Bottom