Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

I did get a reply from them and they said:
It may be possible that something may have happened during shipping, such as starting to freeze them or whatever. Totally frozen eggs split in half, length wise. You may file an insurance claim online on the USPS website for the eggs that did not fare well during the trip. Most of the information they may need should be on the shipping label and the invoice. If there is any additional information that you may need, let me know. Hope the other three eggs will be ok. You may want to wait a day or two to see what the other eggs will do, before filing the claim.
Ok, if they were starting to freeze, why would that be a shipping issue? Shouldn't they have put a heat pack inside the box knowing they were shipping eggs in 20 degree or less weather? My post office told me that when I ship my peacock eggs they are considered "live animals" and I need to package them as such. I am going to bet that they are not going to cover these eggs cause she did not put a heat pack in the box. The other 2 eggs that look like they are oozing, I am hoping that it was from the egg I took the picture of dripping down on them but will not know til they start to smell. We will have to see. I guess buying from Kalaya is at your own risk and they hold no responsibility on their half of the sale. All they had to do was package and send the eggs to the best of their ability and by not using a heat pack, they did not. They did not offer any replacement eggs at all. I lost what looks like 3 eggs and they did not seem to care.

I really expect more from them than that.. sure I can see them not covering eggs that fail to hatch during incubation because they have no control over that.. but to not take any responsibility at all as to a heat pack or proper packing for the weather? That's just irresponsible on their part.

What were the markings on your eggs?

as far as I am concerned.. if you are going to try filing a claim I would file it on ALL of the eggs. If some got cold enough to freeze than all of them were subjected to an extreme in temperature.. so I would try to file it for all of them.. who knows.. maybe the post office will be nice. It's doubtful.. but we can keep our fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
I got a replacement from Kalaya for my dud today marked 1-11 and what looks like V1. It was well packed, not damp or especially cold. I do hope that's not the date written on it, that would make it 2 weeks old to the day when I set it tomorrow morning which doesn't bode well.

The other two eggs I got had markings but they weren't readable, neither were the markings on the eggs from last year.

Last edited:
egg1 -
1/16
A
egg2 -
1/16
C1
egg3 -
1/16
C2D
egg4 -
1/15
J

egg7 -
1/16
C2B
egg8 -
1/16
C2G

Those would all be fresh.. i have several chicken egg sin the freezer to test the 'weepy frozen egg" theory

I got a replacement from Kalaya for my dud today marked 1-11 and what looks like V1. It was well packed, not damp or especially cold. I do hope that's not the date written on it, that would make it 2 weeks old to the day when I set it tomorrow morning which doesn't bode well.

The other two eggs I got had markings but they weren't readable, neither were the markings on the eggs from last year.

fl.gif

Ok, the 6 eggs I got yesterday, 3 are oozing egg whites through the shell and have only been in the incubator about 12 - 13 hours. One is really badly oozing, pics below. What causes this? Could they have froze during shipment? I sent the pictures to the seller and asked why this would happen. I could see it happen to one but 3 of the eggs? The other 3 so far are not oozing, but now that brings my hatch rate chances from 100% to 50% if I am lucky to get one of the 3 to hatch

Yoda, they could be old. Or they could have been frozen. The weepers I had last year were OLD local eggs...

Everyone I got from Kalaya were fresh.. a couple were scrambled.. but scrambled eggs won't weep so soon after being incubated unless they were old to start with. After checking my records.. none of my Kansas eggs were bad or oozing at the beginning of incubation.. I left all of them in throughout the entire time.

To test the frozen theory I have a few day old chicken eggs I can toss into the freezer for 24 hours.. then thaw and warm to room temp.. I can put them in one of the bators and see if they weep.
It will take a few days before I can post results. I'll put 6 eggs in the freezer just to see.

I did get a reply from them and they said:
It may be possible that something may have happened during shipping, such as starting to freeze them or whatever. Totally frozen eggs split in half, length wise. You may file an insurance claim online on the USPS website for the eggs that did not fare well during the trip. Most of the information they may need should be on the shipping label and the invoice. If there is any additional information that you may need, let me know. Hope the other three eggs will be ok. You may want to wait a day or two to see what the other eggs will do, before filing the claim.
Ok, if they were starting to freeze, why would that be a shipping issue? Shouldn't they have put a heat pack inside the box knowing they were shipping eggs in 20 degree or less weather? My post office told me that when I ship my peacock eggs they are considered "live animals" and I need to package them as such. I am going to bet that they are not going to cover these eggs cause she did not put a heat pack in the box. The other 2 eggs that look like they are oozing, I am hoping that it was from the egg I took the picture of dripping down on them but will not know til they start to smell. We will have to see. I guess buying from Kalaya is at your own risk and they hold no responsibility on their half of the sale. All they had to do was package and send the eggs to the best of their ability and by not using a heat pack, they did not. They did not offer any replacement eggs at all. I lost what looks like 3 eggs and they did not seem to care.

Well.. after about 15 hours in the freezer (give or take) 5 of the 6 eggs did split lengthwise
the 6th egg appears to be fine

I have put 2 more in the freezer and I will leave them in for about an hour or so

IF they don't visibly split then I will remove them and allow them to come to room temperature before putting them into the incubator to see if they start weeping.

If I had the room in my freezer I would pack some into a box and see if that would make a difference. I did note that the one which did not split was the one on the bottom .. so it was sheltered from direct blowing cold air by the other eggs.

Heat packs would really only be good for a day or so too, not much point in putting them in there if the post is gonna leave them in freezing conditions it's gonna take 2-3 days to be delivered.

Personally I'd be inclined to hold the post responsible for storing and transporting eggs in below freezing conditions while they're clearly marked, whether or not there's legally a leg to stand on in that regard I don't know but it's worth a try. Unfortunately I know a thing or two about the post mishandling packages as I've had musket and fowler barrels arrive dented through the packaging due to being thrown around, which is a real pain to fix I assure you so I'm not shy about going to my postmaster to get it sorted out.

Ok I was thinking that the oozing egg was on the top shelf and the other 2 with white spots were on the bottom shelf. What if the bad egg was dripping onto the 2 on the bottom shelf. So I wiped off the dried white of those 2 eggs and so far have not seen anymore white n them. Also so far none are smelling. I think that is what happened and I saw 3 eggs with white spots on them and panicked LOL I can only wait and see.

I did go to my PO and ask about the claim. They told me there was no damage to the box, no broken eggs, it was delivered on time so it was not a shipping issue. Also that there are 3-4 questions that need to be answered cause hatching eggs are considered live animals. One of them he asked was "was the package packed to withstand the weather?" and he said there was no heat pack in the box to keep them warm. So if you order eggs in the winter be sure to have the seller include the proper heat pack or your claim will be denied. Then he told me that I have to give him all the eggs that were in the box, not just the bad ones.

Raptor, they make all sizes of heak packs including 48hr and 60 hr ones and they will keep the box warm. I had live fish mailed to me priority mail in the winter with those heat packs and the fish arrived very healthy and alert.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom