English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Law-enforcement just showed up. I told them about record on this site. They also asked for information on firearm are used and if it was registered. I said no because of age of weapon. It was just a 22 caliber Long rifle.

Officers instructed me to mark property boundary with no trespassing signs which will be up today. We used to have a sign or two to entrance of our farm indicating relationship to farm bureau. I do not know if that provides benefits today.

We are getting real with acquisition of goats. Fencing is almost complete. Dogs (mine) are learning it and fast ways to get around when more direct paths are blocked. Soon I will be training Pup Pup and likely Flo how to jump it at main gate. They need to use a location setup so they do not get hung by their legs. Another gate will be installed for Pup Pup to open and close when we move goats / sheep. Pup Pup and Flo will be learning a lot shortly. Flo is not showing good herding interest, but she is awesome going after bad guys and leaves chickens alone even when bored. Flo may do some coon hunting for here release time.

I will take a video. My preference she simply clears gate rather than perching on top like she sometimes does. A heavy saddle blanket will be affixed to preferred crossing point.

Gate crossing currently is a problem. She likes to chase alpacas which is a no-no. A standard-sized jenny is in place to shut that down I hope when around alpacas. Pup Pup and Lucy currently have run of two farms. Girlfriend has one too. We must work on combining resources although she will keep her farm as a backup location. She will also be bringing a Great Pyrenees x Anatolian that is not used to any kinds of animals, including chickens. If dog does not work out quickly, then we are in agreement he can be rehomed or stay in current location.

Back
Top Bottom