Engorged eye

Kayenichol

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2019
9F0912FC-EBEF-469E-A94A-B30D0EA42DF6.jpeg
484BA855-4DF5-4C8B-821B-DC7189360536.jpeg
just noticed that one of my pullets has an engorged eye! Can someone please tell me what this is, how it could have happened and what in the world do I do about it!?

That is a pretty massive infection and full of pus. It needs to be removed, which may take a couple of treatments. Get some saline eye wash, and some Terramycin Eye Ointment to put into the eye twice a day after you get the pus out, and flush out the eye.

These types of eye infections can be from getting something stuck in the eye, such as a seed, dirt, or pecking wound. The most likely cause is a respiratory disease such as coryza or MG, and a secondary infection of E.coli. Do you notice a bad smell? Can hou see a vet? Oral antibiotics will be needed depending on the pressence of an odor, and if there are other symptoms.

Here are 2 videos of how to get pus out of the eye, and they are very graphic:

Last edited:
Thatbis a pretty massive infection and full of pus. It needs to be removed, which may take a couple of treatments. Get some saline eye wash, and some Terramycin Eye Ointment to put into the eye twice a day after you get the pus out, and flush out the eye.

These types of eye infections can be from getting something stuck in the eye, such as a seed, dirt, or pecking wound. The most likely cause is a respiratory disease such as coryza or MG, and a secondary infection of E.coli. Do you notice a bad smell? Can hou see a vet? Oral antibiotics will be needed depending on the pressence of an odor, and if there are other symptoms.

Thank you! I’ll look in to it

D095EDDD-6AFB-4359-A5E5-244700E5DF86.jpeg
34AC1317-072A-46A0-9258-0FE84761B6CC.jpeg
That is a pretty massive infection and full of pus. It needs to be removed, which may take a couple of treatments. Get some saline eye wash, and some Terramycin Eye Ointment to put into the eye twice a day after you get the pus out, and flush out the eye.

So it wasn’t all goopy. It was just a ball of puss

Omg, poor girl. Chicken pus is rarely goopy pretty much always cheesy.
Is the eye ok in there or could you tell?
In addition to the already mentioned treatments it wouldn't hurt to treat the eye with collodial silver as well you could add it to your flushing solution.
View attachment 1816889 View attachment 1816890
So it wasn’t all goopy. It was just a ball of puss

In addition to the already mentioned treatments it wouldn't hurt to treat the eye with collodial silver as well you could add it to your flushing solution.
There was no foul odor and we will be getting some cream and solution here soon. All we had on hand was penicillin so we used that

Also it was still a bit swollen so we couldn’t see her eye. Hoping in the next few days to see her doing better

Chicken pus is usually hard and cheese-like after it has been there a bit. Great job on getting the pus plug out. That is not a job for the faint of heart! Washing the eye with saline and putting some antibiotic ointment or drops can help. To make homemade saline, take 2 tsp of table salt and 1 quart or liter of water, and boil for a few minutes on simmer. Store in a clean jar and bring to room temperature before using.

Chicken pus is usually hard and cheese-like after it has been there a bit. Great job on getting the pus plug out. That is not a job for the faint of heart! Washing the eye with saline and putting some antibiotic ointment or drops can help. To make homemade saline, take 2 tsp of table salt and 1 quart or liter of water, and boil for a few minutes on simmer. Store in a clean jar and bring to room temperature before using.
Thank you!! My husband and eight year old got it out while I held her with my eyes shut tight lol. I couldn’t do it! Didn’t help that after wards my husband thought it would be funny to THROW the puss ball at me . I also didn’t know I could have been making saline right here at home! Definitely gonna make some up!! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom