Environment issues

Gerty0630

Songster
Jan 15, 2019
SE, Michigan
I have 3 pekin ducks. 2 are almost a year old and 1 is almost 4 months old. All are coming down with lameness in the legs. And all at different times. My 1 drake started this about March of this year. I, of course, have made very well sure they are all getting enough niacin to start off. There is no way it is niacin. So, my drake started in March, I tried boosting niacin, switching feed, giving peas and salmon and any good treat a duck can have. I made homeopathic anti inflammatory pain relief gel for achy joints. I tried children’s Advil. I took him to the vet who did x rays and said his joints were infected so he got pain meds and antibiotics for 2 weeks which didn’t help either. He is about 75% immobile now. He gets up and walks when he can but he does not walk straight legged. He uses his “forearms” (bc I don’t know what part of a duck this is called lol) to walk. My 4 month old girl started this same thing about 2 months old. Again, we tried antibiotics and antiinflammatories, and this did not help her either. So my drake, and my little girl both mostly lay around all day and move when they are thirsty or hungry. I have another female, about a year old, who has been perfectly healthy the entire year! We just got back from out of town now she is walking on her forearms too! I have tried supplementing many many things, I have posted on here many many times and taken every suggestion. Nothing has helped. I changed their feed. Nothing. They have a large fenced in area in my back yard to “free range” in all day long. We mow the lawn but do not treat it or fertilize it whatsoever. I change their waters and pool waters very often, they always have clean water. They eat a locally made duck feed. It has to be environmental but I have no idea what else, environmentally, it could be??? Can anyone help with any other potential enviornmental issues which could contribute to leg issues, or any issues, in ducks??

Do they free range outside? The most common reason for ducks to develop lameness is poisoning, a few examples…
Heavy metal poisoning: The previous owners of my property have discharged lot's and lots of firearms in one particular area, can't let the ducks go there! I found several led bullets, shotgun pellets shells and so on. Ducks will swallow this stuff and if this does not kill the bird due to internal injuries it will act as a slow working poison. Heavy metals will also end up in the eggs and make them unsafe for consumption.
Avian botulism: Caused by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum which produces one of the deadliest poison we know. Those bacteria develop under anaerobic conditions, which can occur for example if a dead animal (mouse) is buried in wet mud and starts to rot.
Poisoned rodent bait: Is there a pest control service working in your area? I always have to tell the PC guy not to put the bait boxes for the mice where the ducks have access. In more urban areas a dying mouse could have ended up with your ducks or a bird of prey dropped one. Poisoned rodents are poisonous too. We lost a cat to rat poison when i was a boy, she found a dead rat and ate it…
Idk if there are poisonous insects, amphibians or plants in the area where you live…
You need to check out the place where your ducks live very thoroughly!
As a treatment - even precautious - i would start giving the ducks charcoal, either as a semi-liquid sludge or in form of a capsule. I had a drake last year that went lame too and we never really found out what had happened. This is what i did to treat him:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/young-duck-went-suddenly-lame.1270289/page-5#post-20512376
Limpy is still limping, but otherwise doing very well.

I cannot rule out bad breeding whatsoever as I did get the male and female I have basically from a random woman. I currently have 6 ducks. The 2 I got from this woman, 1 I hatched from those 2 (before ever knowing they had issues otherwise I would not have hatched!) and another 3 I got from a hatchery this spring. If it was an enviornmental issue I just did not want the other 3 to get it and have 6 immobile ducks! :( :(

Back
Top Bottom