Essential Medications for the Common Chicken Raiser: Which do I need?

DelawareSilkie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Hello I'm relatively new to BYC and not sure of many things, but one thing I was always adamant about was the welfare of my chickens concerning their biological health. I already have two pullets (Delawares) that are sneezing/coughing and have a runny nose. So I'm thinking about stocking up on medications and was wondering what you would suggest. I'm pretty sure my chooks don't have Marek's disease or anything major. Maybe I'm just paranoid but since they've been sneezing and having a runny nose, I can't be unprepared. I already have tetracycline, which my afflicted pullets are on. But what would some other medications would you kind posters recommend or have in your medicine cabinet?

I'm sorry your chickens are sick. Is the tetracycline helping them? So many illnesses have similar symptoms and the ones that are viral infections aren't improved by antibiotics. It's hard to get a diagnosis without lab testing. It's so frustrating for people.

Other than the typical stuff we have for ourselves, like a tube of plain neosporin, I don't keep anything around, usually. I don't normally need any medication, so it would just sit around, get old and then get thrown out. If I ever need anything, I can just go to the store and get it. The farm stores here are open every day and stay open late, so it's no problem at all to get whatever we need, when we need it.

I hope your chickens feel better soon.

Back
Top Bottom