Ethical question...

Sonia

Songster
11 Years
Apr 19, 2008
SE Oklahoma
I was given 5 doz farm fresh eggs last night and will be recieving a like amount every week. When I cracked them open for breakfast this morning I thought they were fertile but couldn't tell.....so I posted to this forum looking for the pics showing the difference. Sure enough they are.

Question.....Would it be ethical to try to hatch some of these or should I get the ok from the woman I got them from first?

I dont see anything wrong with it. Others might, who knows? I'm betting these eggs came from a mixed flock, so its doubtful they're high dollar birds... if they were I'm sure she'd be selling hatching eggs, not eating eggs.

I'd say if they're just from a mixed laying flock it probably wouldn't make any difference, but if they're excess eggs she usually sells for hatching I'd talk to her about it. I found out someone who was getting eating eggs from my hens through a friend who takes them to work to sell them for me was setting the marans and welsummer eggs. That kind of upset me. Now I just don't include any dark eggs in those I send with him. She's probably wondering what happened!!

I was given 5 doz farm fresh eggs last night and will be recieving a like amount every week. When I cracked them open for breakfast this morning I thought they were fertile but couldn't tell.....so I posted to this forum looking for the pics showing the difference. Sure enough they are.

Question.....Would it be ethical to try to hatch some of these or should I get the ok from the woman I got them from first

?
Huh? Where's the ethical dilemma here?

The word GIVEN was plainly used. Were there stated (or implied) conditions on the gift?

I'm stupid - someone spell it out for me.​

It is a mixed laying flock...I know for sure that she has 2 RIR's because we raised them for her two years ago lol. I just gave her 17 White Leghorn pullets in exchange for eggs every week and we are going to be going halves on Dairy goats and meat birds. I think I'll just ask her....She most likely wont have any problem with it.

Oh yeah and turkeys and ducks too
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
oh, no! ya my mom ate all my hatching eggs in a day, i was really upset because i told her lik a million times not to eat the colored eggs, but oh well they do lay again
smile.png

Sorry elderoo....I just have an overdeveloped sense of guilt I guess lol. I just don't want to offend her. I'll just ask. If she says no I'll just have to order hatching eggs from someone here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom