Euthanasia

That's good to know! We've always used the .22 -- the only experience I have with pellets is a cat that was riddled with them. She was shot in the head three times, but they just mangled her face up and took one of her eyes. None of them managed to kill.
That was most likely the result of some idiot shooting at the cat from great distance to run it off. You put the end of the barrel up to their head it does the job without issues.

I run traps and know many trappers that use pellet guns. Mostly due to the cost of ammo. If I'm lucky running 20 sets and have to dispatch 20 animals 20 pellets are cheaper than 20 .22 bullets.

That was most likely the result of some idiot shooting at the cat from great distance to run it off. You put the end of the barrel up to their head it does the job without issues.

I run traps and know many trappers that use pellet guns. Mostly due to the cost of ammo. If I'm lucky running 20 sets and have to dispatch 20 animals 20 pellets are cheaper than 20 .22 bullets.
Very good point, especially on cost.

So far we have cervical dislocation, decapitation, firearms/pellet guns, and (possibly) benzodiazepines.

Pellet rifles or even a good BB gun would do the trick absolutely with a good shot. Some 'pellet guns' can shoot a bullet just as fast as a rifle. Personally I'd just pop it with a .177 at about 1000 FPS Is what I think my pellet rifle does. No need to waste a .22 bullet, but some people can't use / don't have guns. I know a few people who hunt with air rifles and they re very lethal when used properly.

Why not just give the chicken a few hits of acid, it'll think it's superman, fly off a building and kill itself..... :D

Aaron

So just wondering, where do firearms fall in this debate? We use a .22 for processing and if the bird is an adult but needs to be put down. Wouldn't an air rifle/pellet gun work as well at close range (serious question, I'm not the gun person at all in this family)? I don't think it can get faster than a shot to the head.
I also think firearms would be a perfectly fine solution. It's not approved for use for such small animals in my country, but I think that has as much to do with our gun laws (Basically, only hunting rifles allowed), and that would be imposible to aim whilst holding the chicken.

Instead we have a poultry version of stunguns. Shockwave stuns the brain, instantly, and then you quickly bleed the chicken before it regains conciousness. It's not fool proof, and watching it go wrong is devastating. Your aim must be great and you must be quick. But done by someone who knows what they're doing, I would say it's the most humane way.

Edit; Just clarifying here, because I seem to have fumbled my explanation, I don't mean an electric stungun, but a mechanical one, see later post...

Last edited:
Ok, that sounds like one of those old induction cattle prods they use to kill birds / animals at the slaughter house. Yes electricity would work too A bit dangerous though, but of course so is a gun in the wrong hands. IF done properly, don't need to worry about the bleeding, the current itself killed it.

With this in mind though, lets keep the topic rolling, but the original thread was about things a normal person w/o access to guns or high voltage could do, something easy, and hopefully painless.

Aaron

Ok, that sounds like one of those old induction cattle prods they use to kill birds / animals at the slaughter house. Yes electricity would work too A bit dangerous though, but of course so is a gun in the wrong hands. IF done properly, don't need to worry about the bleeding, the current itself killed it.

With this in mind though, lets keep the topic rolling, but the original thread was about things a normal person w/o access to guns or high voltage could do, something easy, and hopefully painless.

Aaron
No, I mean a mechanical stungun, that by the force it excerts sends a shockwave. Which is only temporary. Like the ones you would use on a pig or cow, but way smaller.

Electric stunguns, I'm pretty sure, are also banned. Slaughter houses do use electricity, but by dunking in water and then sending a current through that. Doesn't seem like the kindest option.
Bleeding is requred by law, no matter how you start, and the animal isn't considered legally dead til it's done.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-18 000754.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-18 000754.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 9
The chicken could also die peacefully one night in it's sleep after living to a ripe old age. Do we tell everyone feint of heart no pets EVER for you now?

If you can snap it's spine and watch it die in your hands, that's good that you have the courage to do the right thing when it's time. If you give it a pill and it quietly, and less convulsively accomplishes the same thing, well isn't that good too? I mean, the end desired result is your animal is put down in as painless of a manner as you can w/o suffering for hours or days waiting for whatever 'method' to take place.

You point is very well taken though. How many chickens and ducks are sold as peepers around easter time because people think they are cute, and want to give them to their screaming brats.... and end up dead two weeks later because of god only knows.

Oh relax Aaron, it's just a friggin chiggin for crying out loud, a 2 dollar peep, nobody cares. THAT!! IS.... the problem. people NEED to care. Also agreed, there are plenty of people out there who should NOT have pets period. Dogs, Cats, Chickens, Birds, or otherwise. Half them should not have children either IMO but that's another topic. Too bad we can't round up people and sterilize them like we do at animal shelters.

Aaron
I agree. Handing over the care of an animal to a child that has no clue of how to care for it. Without any oversight from a parent. It just as terrible. The animal is still the one that suffers. Sadly, usually paying the ultimate cost.

No judgment coming in this post, just sharing my experience in case it's helpful.

I put down a hen for the first time a few weeks ago. I've never euthanized an animal and wasn't sure I had the courage to do so. After some research, I decided on the broomstick method to ensure a quick, painless neck dislocation. While I had a challenging time emotionally, I was able to put her down efficiently. Now I know I can do it when the time comes again.

I wish you well.

Oh, definitely.

We use a .22 long when needed.

Airsoft/pellets likely wouldn't penetrate the skull, so I don't recommend them.

Complete destruction of the brain is the most immediate way to euthanize. The cervical dislocation method is just better depending on area, since a lot of people live in urban/city areas and would get in trouble for firing a gun within city limits.
Air/Pellet rifles come in many different calibers including .177, .22, .25 all the way up to 50 cal and are legal for hunting in many states. (Refer to your state hunting regulations for details in your state). Yes, these rifles can be handy for an urban homesteader. GAMMO, Walther, etc are extremely popular brands of these rifles.

Back
Top Bottom