Evaporative Mist Cooling System... Yes or No?

Here in Florida, we have high humidity, along with high temps. I have fans in my coops. Last year, when that didn't seem to be quite enough, I put in a misting system, putting the misters near the fans, so they could blow the mist. It worked well. I intend to use the same ones this year. It was a cheap kit I got off of Amazon.
Did you then take pictures or would you soon be able to show pics of your success and perhaps add your thoughts on what you would do differently this time or next time?

Did the birds gravitate to the misted area?
Did it actually drop the temp?
Yes, and Yes. When setting it up, I did not put anything into place permanently at first. The fans were already in place. I set the misters about where I thought they should go, then turned on the fans. I then finished adjusting the placement, and angles of the misters, so it was optimal, without soaking any wood, then used zip ties to secure everything. This year, I may expand on it, putting some misters out in the runs, a bit closer to the ground, to create cool wet spots for them.

Too humid here for misters to be of any help.
I, and the birds, suffer the heat more when humidity is higher.

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that either.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full
I saw this post of yours elsewhere last night as I was getting ready for bed.

Here in Florida, we have high humidity, along with high temps. I have fans in my coops. Last year, when that didn't seem to be quite enough, I put in a misting system, putting the misters near the fans, so they could blow the mist. It worked well. I intend to use the same ones this year. It was a cheap kit I got off of Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom