Expecting up to 18" of snow...

Frannabelle

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
MI
So they say up to 18" of snow...haven't had that much snow fall since I started keeping chickens....

I'm sure they won't like this at all!!

I'm totally with you. I went and filled our gasoline containers this morning just in case our electric goes out. I'll need to get the generator going ASAP as I have eggs in the bator. I'm down to 1 flake of straw too - I lay it out on top of the snow for the ducks. Hopefully the weatherman is wrong and this storm will pass over us or under us.
hmm.png

we are bitter cold, 5 inches of snow, wind blowing and the expected low tonight -45 wind chill. They are not recommending anyone outside for more than 10 minutes, any exposed skin can be frostbit!

I fed my girls warm cornmeal mush, inside the coop today, got one egg,, but don't expect any others. This will be the test!

I've got lots of eggs to scramble, oatmeal and leftover meat to feed them during this....this has been a crazy looooooooooooong winter

Warm oatmeal, thats a really good idea, thanks.
thumbsup.gif

We had up to knee high snow and cos we're quite high up we were freezing cold. The chickens didn't come out of their coop once, so we put extra straw and extra food to keep them warm. Especially an extra cup of mash at night before bedtime so their gizzard stays full to keep them warm. Also due to the snow, I suggest to stock up on all the extras as it can be hard to go to the local shops. And if you run out of straw, just shred newspaper into strips.
D.gif

We're expecting up to a foot of snow and ice also. My girls love their warm oatmeal in the morning mixed with the night before leftovers.
droolin.gif

My girls have been trecking through the snow all winter lone. I shovel a path from the house to the coop - most times they use it but sometimes they get the urge to plow through the deep stuff. This storm should be interesting. (just hope I get a snow day)
fl.gif

We're just supposed to get snow, I feel for you folks who get all the ice...
and I guess unless you have a generator, we may not see you on here for a few days (but maybe your power won't go out!)
jumpy.gif

My path to the barn started out in November being 10' wide. We've had over 5' of snow already this winter.... Path is down to about 4' wide. I have no where to put it. Almost another foot fell today... getting old. Tomorrow 15 to 20 mph winds will re-distribute the snow I blowed out TWICE TODAY
somad.gif

This has been a terrible winter. all the bad weather comes during the week too, makes getting to work hard.
My girls hate the snow. This weekend was the first time I saw them out in weeks. I dont know what they will do with ice, but as soon as that snow falls, back inside for them.

Back
Top Bottom