Experimenting with a few meat birds as pets

IMG_1843.jpeg

We aren't set on any certain meat breed yet, I can get a breed that you guys think will have a happier life, or do well on a restricted diet.
So far, we were thinking Cornish X. I have seen them do okay in other threads, and have also heard they are very friendly. They are most typical used for meat, so I would love to save a few of them if they will do alright and not suffer on a restricted diet. If they wont do good or will suffer, sit there, not have a happy life, I can choose another meat breed.
The freedom rangers would probably make the best pets, but yours seem pretty healthy

Last edited:
last year i've been keep cornish cross like this until 7 month, dont let them lay and stay on small area, let them keep moving, its help burn their fat and keep healthy. they are always hungry and best food to carcas ratio.
Thank you! The photo you quoted there is the flock of meat birds were planning to eat in a few days. Thats why they're so fat, in a smaller space, etc.
Doodle and Smudge who I'm keeping, are in the first few pictures. They're being dieted and get to free rage every day. 💕

ARGH!!!! I've run into a real challenge. All I want to do is let out my other poultry, and these guys at the same time. If I do that, I have to take the feeders away from the other poultry, and they go hungry. I can't find any harmony their without Doodle and Smudge finding those feeders and gouging. Even worse, they found were I keep the feed in the shop, and have figured out how to jump all the wya into the large bin I keep fe bags in, wiggle the bags open, and literally jump into the bag and eat.
Now, they are massive. Smudge is the worst and I have yet to weigh them, I'm scared to. I've been keeping the feed tight and not letting them out with duck/chicken feeders available, it've been very strict. I'm feeding 1/2 cup 18% protein to each daily, and hoping I can get their weight down. I'm really really concerned I won't be able to.
At what age will they start laying? I'm vey concerned that their weight will cause egg issues and problems. Ideas on how to get weight down? Do you think I'll be able to?

I'd cut their ration down to 1/4 cup of food a day. If you wet the portion down, their crops will feel more full because the food has expanded. To help them feel full throughout the day, they can have low carb foods: grass, dandelions, spinach, etc.

I'd guess they will start laying around 7 months, like other large breeds. Though they may start laying sooner than that since Cornish X are fast growing. Overweight hens are more prone to egg binding and prolapse.

Do you think I'll be able to?
I think you will! It'll take some strict management, but it sounds like you are already doing that.

Thank you!!! This is so relieving! I'll cut down to wetted down 1/4 cup a day. Toss in some weeds and spinach so they feel more full. I've also found that if I shake there container around and run around the yard, Smudge will follow me for miles as long as I keep shaking that food. I've started doing laps around the yard every morning with her to get some exercise. ;) I mean these guys are like toddlers and candy! Lol!
Another thing, Doodle injured her ankle right, well for a meat bird, she's been surprising hard to keep down. I didn't keep her in a kennel, because if I did she had no where to move and was sitting in her poop all day since they poop a ton. I felt terrible for her, and didn't want to do that again. I hoped she would just be chill as she hated a sling, but I I found her finding ways to stop her ankle from healing. It seems to be doing much better now that I've kept them pretty tight in there pen, but still not 100%. I think if I can just keep her in there for a bit longer she'll heal up.
I'd cut their ration down to 1/4 cup of food a day. If you wet the portion down, their crops will feel more full because the food has expanded. To help them feel full throughout the day, they can have low carb foods: grass, dandelions, spinach, etc.

I'd guess they will start laying around 7 months, like other large breeds. Though they may start laying sooner than that since Cornish X are fast growing. Overweight hens are more prone to egg binding and prolapse.

I think you will! It'll take some strict management, but it sounds like you are already doing that.

I mean these guys are like toddlers and candy!
So true for cornish! 🤣

Another thing, Doodle injured her ankle right, well for a meat bird, she's been surprising hard to keep down. I didn't keep her in a kennel, because if I did she had no where to move and was sitting in her poop all day since they poop a ton. I felt terrible for her, and didn't want to do that again. I hoped she would just be chill as she hated a sling, but I I found her finding ways to stop her ankle from healing. It seems to be doing much better now that I've kept them pretty tight in there pen, but still not 100%. I think if I can just keep her in there for a bit longer she'll heal up.
Poor Doodle :( I hope her leg heals soon!

ARGH!!!! I've run into a real challenge. All I want to do is let out my other poultry, and these guys at the same time. If I do that, I have to take the feeders away from the other poultry, and they go hungry. I can't find any harmony their without Doodle and Smudge finding those feeders and gouging. Even worse, they found were I keep the feed in the shop, and have figured out how to jump all the wya into the large bin I keep fe bags in, wiggle the bags open, and literally jump into the bag and eat.
Now, they are massive. Smudge is the worst and I have yet to weigh them, I'm scared to. I've been keeping the feed tight and not letting them out with duck/chicken feeders available, it've been very strict. I'm feeding 1/2 cup 18% protein to each daily, and hoping I can get their weight down. I'm really really concerned I won't be able to.
At what age will they start laying? I'm vey concerned that their weight will cause egg issues and problems. Ideas on how to get weight down? Do you think I'll be able to?
To keep food available to the layers, can you put it up somewhere they have to jump to get it? My most athletic Cornish cross couldn’t jump up more than a couple of feet max.

Back
Top Bottom