External pip BELOW air cell

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cajun41887, Dec 29, 2018.

1. cajun41887

cajun41887 Songster

Nov 25, 2015
    Parrish, Florida
    Hi y’all! Our welshie eggs have started hatching and I have one that has externally pipped BELOW the air cell. The shell is broken from that area, but doesn’t appear membrane has. I haven’t seen a bill or anything come out, but chick is working on it. Do I need to make a breathing hole in the air cell, or will chick be ok?

Have another egg which has dented the shell outwards, but hasn’t made any further progress and it’s been several hours. Do I need to removed that small part of the shell and make a breathing hole? I don’t see any evidence of the chick making any progress. AD3C7F98-C44C-49D0-98CB-C92537539C90.jpeg A50E4CBF-0B8D-4B12-A7BA-C1BA75FDE4C5.jpeg

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    The second picture is a classic external pip. No worries with it. Just give it some time. It could take 24-48 hours from the time it made that “bump” to actually hatch so just be patient. Also be prepared that it may pip the shell a couple times before it starts to zip and hatch. They thump around a little while getting into position.

The first pic with the pip toward the floor.... it’s a little hard to tell for sure, but it should also be fine. I can see shell hanging down, so the membrane is definitely broken too, and the duckling should be getting air. Depending on how the air cell drew down, it may or may not have hit the air cell. If it didn’t, that’s ok, but it may take longer to hatch, because it skipped the time when they are usually just breathing air cell air.
    Can you possibly get a pic from the side angle of that first one?

4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    It appears in the first pic it has broken through the membrane. I don't see any fluids dripping out, so that's a good sign. So it may be ok.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

The first one I'd turn over so the pip is to the top and a bit off to the side. Best wishes with your hatch...:frow

007Sean and WVduckchick like this.
  6. cajun41887

cajun41887 Songster

Nov 25, 2015
    Parrish, Florida
    Thank you so much! Yes, I’ll get another pic now. Those pics were last night at 4am.

7. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I would at least check for membrane puncture. Better safe then sorry.

casportpony likes this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

In order to pip they need to puncture the membrane.

WVduckchick and 007Sean like this.
  9. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Not true. I had a duck egg and several chicken eggs break the shell but not the membrane.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

The egg in question looks like what I call an "away from air cell pip".
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: