cajun41887

Songster
Nov 25, 2015
Parrish, Florida
Hi y’all! Our welshie eggs have started hatching and I have one that has externally pipped BELOW the air cell. The shell is broken from that area, but doesn’t appear membrane has. I haven’t seen a bill or anything come out, but chick is working on it. Do I need to make a breathing hole in the air cell, or will chick be ok?

Have another egg which has dented the shell outwards, but hasn’t made any further progress and it’s been several hours. Do I need to removed that small part of the shell and make a breathing hole? I don’t see any evidence of the chick making any progress.
AD3C7F98-C44C-49D0-98CB-C92537539C90.jpeg
A50E4CBF-0B8D-4B12-A7BA-C1BA75FDE4C5.jpeg

The second picture is a classic external pip. No worries with it. Just give it some time. It could take 24-48 hours from the time it made that “bump” to actually hatch so just be patient. Also be prepared that it may pip the shell a couple times before it starts to zip and hatch. They thump around a little while getting into position.

The first pic with the pip toward the floor.... it’s a little hard to tell for sure, but it should also be fine. I can see shell hanging down, so the membrane is definitely broken too, and the duckling should be getting air. Depending on how the air cell drew down, it may or may not have hit the air cell. If it didn’t, that’s ok, but it may take longer to hatch, because it skipped the time when they are usually just breathing air cell air.
Can you possibly get a pic from the side angle of that first one?

The second picture is a classic external pip. No worries with it. Just give it some time. It could take 24-48 hours from the time it made that “bump” to actually hatch so just be patient. Also be prepared that it may pip the shell a couple times before it starts to zip and hatch. They thump around a little while getting into position.

The first pic with the pip toward the floor.... it’s a little hard to tell for sure, but it should also be fine. I can see shell hanging down, so the membrane is definitely broken too, and the duckling should be getting air. Depending on how the air cell drew down, it may or may not have hit the air cell. If it didn’t, that’s ok, but it may take longer to hatch, because it skipped the time when they are usually just breathing air cell air.
Can you possibly get a pic from the side angle of that first one?
Thank you so much! Yes, I’ll get another pic now. Those pics were last night at 4am.

Hi y’all! Our welshie eggs have started hatching and I have one that has externally pipped BELOW the air cell. The shell is broken from that area, but doesn’t appear membrane has. I haven’t seen a bill or anything come out, but chick is working on it. Do I need to make a breathing hole in the air cell, or will chick be ok?

Have another egg which has dented the shell outwards, but hasn’t made any further progress and it’s been several hours. Do I need to removed that small part of the shell and make a breathing hole? I don’t see any evidence of the chick making any progress. View attachment 1627263View attachment 1627264

The egg in question looks like what I call an "away from air cell pip".

Back
Top Bottom