Extra sleepy two day old chick keeps eyes closed a lot

Put out 2 more containers of mash in different locations so there are options.
This can get Poultry nutri-drench at TSC. You can also use Rooster Booster.
Ok thank you. I also was noticing that another chick, the smallest chick was closing his eyes a lot too. Do you think that’s ok?

I found a baby food line - with a picture of a Chicken on the label - called Sprout for HUMAN babies - but IDK what Chicken food you are using? 18-20% Protein Chick Starter Crumbles are the usual food for the first couple months...or til laying age. I buy it in 40-50# bags. They don't need much food the first couple days - hope they perk up! Warm water may be less of a shock than cold to start also. Probiotics or Sav-a-Chick -on the food can help alot in the first days also. Watch to be sure hey are pooping and poo isn't stuck under their tails. A dab of coconut oil using a Q-Tip - can help melt the dried poo so it can be wiped off easily without trauma to the Chick.
The food we found was in the chicken section of Fleet Farm. It is 18%. I have been using warm water thankfully I read something about that before they hatched. We’re going to fleet farm tomorrow to find some things that can help them and give them a boost.
They all look clean and fluffy right now but I’ll be sure to check them a lot.
So another question having to do with poop and another chick, yesterday my one day old chick that is separated with another chick (because of sprayed leg) had bloody poop. I was so scared and I thought he was going to die but he’s ok now and hasn’t had anymore bloody poop. Do you think he’ll be ok too?

Ok thank you. I also was noticing that another chick, the smallest chick was closing his eyes a lot too. Do you think that’s ok?
Yeah, its easy to get wrapped up in worry around the little guys. With my first chickens I thought they were all suffering from a seemingly un-curable case of Coccidiosis. I had not yet learned that one, cecal poops are a thing, and that chickens shed small amounts of stomach lining sometimes and it comes out in the poop. So I saw this as bloody diarrhea and they must have coccidiosis. 😂 They were all obviously fine. I would assume the other chick is probably just very tired. They don't do much but they grow so fast they get really sleepy. Ive seen some of my chicks just flat out fall over and go to sleep😂

Yeah, its easy to get wrapped up in worry around the little guys. With my first chickens I thought they were all suffering from a seemingly un-curable case of Coccidiosis. I had not yet learned that one, cecal poops are a thing, and that chickens shed small amounts of stomach lining sometimes and it comes out in the poop. So I saw this as bloody diarrhea and they must have coccidiosis. 😂 They were all obviously fine. I would assume the other chick is probably just very tired. They don't do much but they grow so fast they get really sleepy. Ive seen some of my chicks just flat out fall over and go to sleep😂
Thank goodness :D I was so worried, even though he seems ok now. I guess I’m just overthinking a lot of it. Thanks so much!

when it stands with its eyes closed does it peep loudly
No he’s quiet until I pick him up. I haven’t noticed anything else wrong with him other than he’s weak and sleepy. He’s sleeping now he’s finally is sleeping sitting down too.
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom