Extra sleepy two day old chick keeps eyes closed a lot

Pics

Dr Evy

Bird Nerd
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2021
Minnesota
Hi I just made an account for this so I’m not really sure if I’m posting on the right thing or not but I need some guidance. I’m new at raising chicks this is my first time. I hatched 8 baby Wyandotte chickens this Friday and Saturday and all seemed well at first. This evening I noticed that one of the chicks was just not moving around as much as the others so I decided to take a look at him. He keeps his eyes closed almost all the time one of them he doesn’t open at all the other he will open momentarily but then closes. He falls asleep almost immediately when I put him back in the brooder and only moves when the other chicks tumble over him. I was reading that I should get some electrolyte packets but I’m not able to leave my house tonight to get any. I also can’t separate him because I don’t have any lamps left to keep him warm with. My last lamp I’m using for the two I separated from sprayed leg.
I also used a coffee grinder and grinded up their food a bit and made some mash because I thought it was a bit to big for their tiny mouths. Is there anything else I can do tonight to help him? Does anyone know what’s wrong with him?
Also I don’t have any other chickens, just these babies so he couldn’t have gotten anything from other chickens.
Just checked on him again and he’s eating the mash with the other chicks so maybe that’s a sign of improvement? Haven’t seen him drink any water today but I’ll watch him really close. Here’s a picture of him
He also doesn’t struggle at all when I pick him up, just kind of closes his eyes.
Please someone help! I’m really worried about him.
image.jpg

Hey guys, I checked on the chick this morning and he seems to be doing a little better. Still very sleepy and weak but he’s eating and drinking a lot. I’m going to the store today to pick up some electrolytes and other things that might help him. Thanks so much for all of your help!

I just checked on him again, all the other chicks are sleeping, and it looks as though he’s sleeping too but he’s sleeping standing up. He hasn’t laid down in over an hour. He just stands there. I’m really worried that maybe this is something that could spread to the rest of the chicks even though they all seem pretty healthy so far. I really don’t want to lose them all please tell me if I should figure out a way to separate him or not. This is my first time and I really don’t want it to be a failure. I’m sitting by the brooder now and they all got up and started eating even the sickly one. I think he’s eating the most so maybe it was that the food was to big and he wasn’t getting enough nutrition? If anyone has any idea what’s going on please let me know :(
At that age it's nearly impossible for it to have contracted and developed an illness that could spread to the others.
It's likely just suffering from failure to thrive and all you can do is give it warmth and a nutritional boost.
Is their food chick starter? What percent protein does it offer?

thanks, I will be praying for him I believe God put animals on this earth for our enjoyment he hates to see us sad so I believe he will be just fine
Yeah he did. He put them on this earth so we could love them and take care of them and that’s exactly what I’m doing! I’ll be praying a lot for him too because I really am worried about him. I totally believe God can make him better but I know if he doesn’t its for a learning experience for me :)

Unfortunately my little chick passed away in my hands this morning. It’s so hard because I already loved him so much. I guess it’s hard for some people to understand because he was “just a chicken”, but he really was much more than that. He fought so hard until the end and I’m so glad I was able to be with him in his last moments. Thanks so much for all your help. God bless you.

At that age it's nearly impossible for it to have contracted and developed an illness that could spread to the others.
It's likely just suffering from failure to thrive and all you can do is give it warmth and a nutritional boost.
Is their food chick starter? What percent protein does it offer?
Okay so I don’t have any of that poultry nutri-drench but I can try and pick some up tomorrow. Do you know where I can find it? Their food is chick starter and it has 18% protein. Do you think I should still separate the chick? He keeps getting pushed around by the other ones. He was very excited by the mush but had a hard time getting to it because the others were all at it. Since I don’t have another lamp though if I were to separate him would it be possible I could start up the incubator and put him back in there? Or is that a bad idea? I’ve been doing a lot of research but haven’t been able to find the answers to my questions! Also he just opened his eye that he wasn’t opening at all so maybe that’s a good sign?

Back
Top Bottom