Extreme heat options, opinions?

Jenjee

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2017
Hello, I have been the proud owner of 2 Mottled Javas for a week and apologize in advance for my lack of expertise.

We have a heat wave coming up, 7 days at 100-105 up from 80 today, (little humidity) and I'm worried about my girls. I've done a ton of reading, though, on hot weather tips and have a few ideas.

Their coop and run is small right now and shaded with tarps. This weekend is secure run building time but it's not complete. (Birds were dropped off a bit unexpectedly).

Option a) Free range in backyard. They are already doing this supervised about 3 hrs a day but we will not be able to supervise all day long. Will other predators be less active in the heat and they might be safer? Most of yard is canopied by a giant elm tree and we are in the middle of town.

Option b) stay in small coop/run like normal with ice water, frozen watermelon, etc.

Option c) I know this might be crazy but bring them inside in a kiddie pool with make shift high sides?

Any other advice would be welcome! If they had a larger coop and run i'd put a mister out in addition to ice water, etc. Thanks!

i would do option b while letting them out, check the water constantly and place in shady spot so they dont have to go in the sun to eat or drink

Thanks! I think I am leaning towards option a as so many of the ideas in the thread (I actually did read all 25 pages!) arent feasible due to space. I'll check on them a lot and my dog is in and out and he's been a great instant guardian as he was raised with chickens in his old home. I'll probably work on hanging cds and other overhead predator detterants though ive never seen any, or raccoons, etc. in 12 years at this location, but I know they've gotta be around. I'll pick up a mister, too. People I know have made chicken keeping sound very easy, but it's been very complex, at least for me. Well worth it already, though. They make me laugh every day.

We are making it through rather nicely. Yesterday we were outside with the birds all day under the mister by the elm tree and today we were able to get the run set up with a fan, shade and mister. Frozen watermelon, berries, peas and electrolytes in their water and I've hardly even seen a pant! And the very exciting thing, despite the heat, Big Bird laid her first egg yesterday AND today and Delilah did today! I can't believe how proud of them I am! And the after-egg laying announcement is hilarious. These girls are endlessly entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom