chickmamat

Songster
Apr 3, 2018
California Desert
Please help me!! 2 yo hen, mixed breed. Notice this morning she sounded like she was chatting a lot. It was very low, typical happy chicken mumbling. Then I noticed it was steady, there were no breaks, and I realized it was the sound of her breathing.

She appears to be eating fine, acting normal, free ranging with the other hens. Face is bright red. But her breathing sounds severely obstructed or something? I couldn’t catch her, so I finally just got her now when she went to bed. It’s so much louder now. The point I could hear her breathing from 30-40ft away.

I cleared some black/dark gunk from her nostrils but it didn’t help. Her abdomen is not swollen at all.

I put vet rx under her wings and a little on her neck. I have Tylan solution, so I’m giving her that but she seems to have a hard time swallowing water.

I’ve never had a chicken sound this way. She is trying very to inhale AND exhale. Almost like a human having an asthma attack.

Please help!! she is one of our favorite girls, she’s the baby of one of our original hens who passed a couple years ago. I don’t know if it’s just a respiratory infection? I want to check her throat for an obstruction but I don’t have any help to hold her.

Hopefully this video works:

She is having stridor, a sound made when they get a piece of feed stuck in the throat. It usually doesn’t cause any problems, and frequently goes away within hours or overnight, after they cough it up. If stridor is accompanied by sneezing, then it could be a respiratory infection. Cannyou look inside her beak and throat for any mucus or something unusual?

She is having stridor, a sound made when they get a piece of feed stuck in the throat. It usually doesn’t cause any problems, and frequently goes away within hours or overnight, after they cough it up. If stridor is accompanied by sneezing, then it could be a respiratory infection. Cannyou look inside her beak and throat for any mucus or something unusual?
I was able to open up her throat really well with a bright flashlight and everything as far as I could see looked clear. The breathing is her only symptom as far as I can tell. No discharge from eyes or nose, no sneezing. But when she does drink it almost garbles a little…. I put a couple drops of olive oil while I had her mouth open hoping that might help dislodge something. I have her in the house tonight, her breathing has mellowed and quieted significantly in the last hour or so….

Back
Top Bottom