Eye infection or socket deformity?

Leeloo7

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
Hi chicken buddies! I have an odd situation with my 11-week LO that I’d love some feedback on. To provide a little context - This sweet orpington has not had the strongest start to life. At first I thought I had a “failure to thrive” situation because she was half the size of her brooder-mates for the first couple months, didn’t start feathering whatsoever until after 7-weeks (she just looked like a large day-old chick!), and when her feathers finally grew in, they had major stress barring/shredding. I know the LO breed can have some genetic issues due to how much they are bred for color but I was hoping she was just a late bloomer. Luckily around the 8-week mark, she started to catch up with the other girls, both in weight, size, and feathering but she’s always had a little bit of a gawky appearance.

Fast forward to 11-weeks and within the last few days, I’ve noticed her eye sockets look a little droopy, almost like the skin around her socket is too big for her eye/skull. Could this just be an eye infection that’s causing the skin around her eye to stretch? I can’t seem to find a diagnosis where the inner eye tissue would swell but there is no discharge, and no other signs of illness. Both eyes are like this. Any idea on what this could be?

PS - I’m 99% sure “she” is actually a “he”😉

Attachments

• IMG_4942.jpeg
    IMG_4942.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4941.jpeg
    IMG_4941.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4870.jpeg
    IMG_4870.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4883.jpeg
    IMG_4883.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 21
Following. I'm not sure what's going on--to me it looks more like the eye is getting pushed out of alignment due to swelling of that inner tissue, but I've never seen anything quite like that. Can he/she properly close the eyes to sleep, and is the thin inner eyelid also still functional??

Have you ever had respiratory illness within your flock?

It looks like conjunctivitis. Could be from an irritant, but sometimes sunken eyes like that can indicate Mycoplasma as well.
I'd give general care to see if there's improvement. Flush the eye with saline, then apply Terramcyin eye ointment in the eye - do this 2X a day for 7-10 days. If there's no improvment or if it worsens, then you may need to give an oral antibiotic like Tylan/Tylosin or a Tetracycline.

Thank u all for ur feedback! I noticed another symptom this morning - the area between her eye and ear seem to be swollen too so I’m thinking this may be a big infection. Any recommendations on treatment? Should I use a topical antibiotic still on her eye or does she need a more comprehensive antibiotic?

Attachments

• IMG_4991.jpeg
    IMG_4991.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4995.jpeg
    IMG_4995.jpeg
    454 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4992.jpeg
    IMG_4992.jpeg
    632.2 KB · Views: 15
Look inside the ear, see if there's pus in it.
Look inside the beak for any lesions, white or yellow pasty material.
Any bad odors?

Yes, you will want to still treat the eye.
Depending on what's causing the infection, Tylan may still be the correct antibiotic to give.

I had a hen whose eye didn't swell, but it turned white. I think she may have had a brain tumor. She was a LO. Other than the one bad eye she was fine. I ended up giving her away because i was going on a trip.

I checked her ears closely and no discharge whatsoever. She enjoyed stealing the q-tip though 😂 Aside from these weird symptoms, she seems fine and energetic.

I have no idea if this is related but there was another LO chick from the same clutch that ended up growing severely deformed (her beak and legs would grow at a normal rate but her body wouldn’t). I am wondering if this line of LO has some major genetic/health issues.

Attachments

• IMG_5006.jpeg
    IMG_5006.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 14
When I zoom in on the last picture, it appears there are bubbles in the eye, at the bottom. That is often a sign of a respiratory infection like MG.

I’ve been treating for a respiratory infection with VetRX and cleaning out her eyes (Edited to add I’m also using some antibiotic ointment) and so far she hasn’t gotten worse in terms of acting sickly but her eye sockets continue to look too big for her eyes. She’s super active, ate lots of treats and otherwise appears healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_5100.jpeg
    IMG_5100.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5103.jpeg
    IMG_5103.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5104.jpeg
    IMG_5104.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Back