Eye infection????

Thanks! I'm excited! Hopefully all continues to go well!
fl.gif

I hope you all don't mind if I add a question here since it is a similar question. I have a 2-year old pekin duck with the same problem. Everything looks clean, but her eye is pasted shut until she washes, then it just looks runny. I think the drakes grabbed her face and injured her. The drakes are gone (sold) so she isn't in danger of continued injury.

I have ophthalmic ointment that was used on my horse for an eye problem. It has Neomycin, Polymyxin B, Bacitracin, Zinc, and Hydrocortizone. Did wonders for the horse and I am wondering if it would be safe for the duck.

She is acting mostly normal except for hiding in the coop more. No signs of any respiratory involvement or anything other than the weepy eye.

I hope you all don't mind if I add a question here since it is a similar question. I have a 2-year old pekin duck with the same problem. Everything looks clean, but her eye is pasted shut until she washes, then it just looks runny. I think the drakes grabbed her face and injured her. The drakes are gone (sold) so she isn't in danger of continued injury.

I have ophthalmic ointment that was used on my horse for an eye problem. It has Neomycin, Polymyxin B, Bacitracin, Zinc, and Hydrocortizone. Did wonders for the horse and I am wondering if it would be safe for the duck.

She is acting mostly normal except for hiding in the coop more. No signs of any respiratory involvement or anything other than the weepy eye.
I'd try it as long as it doesn't have pain relief in it. Let us know how she is doing once you start treatment.

Thanks, Miss Lydia. My ancient mare colicked and spent a night laying flat out in a sand indoor arena under sedation and her eyes were full of sand. We rinsed her eyes out with saline solution and the vet gave us this ointment and it had her eyes cleared up in a few days. Poor Jemima, she recovered from the colic and then broke her leg later in the spring. She was in her late 20s and I got her from a rescue after she was about starved to death.

I will update on whether the ointment works on the ducky.

Thanks, Miss Lydia. My ancient mare colicked and spent a night laying flat out in a sand indoor arena under sedation and her eyes were full of sand. We rinsed her eyes out with saline solution and the vet gave us this ointment and it had her eyes cleared up in a few days. Poor Jemima, she recovered from the colic and then broke her leg later in the spring. She was in her late 20s and I got her from a rescue after she was about starved to death.

I will update on whether the ointment works on the ducky.
I'm sorry about your mare sounds like she was much loved. Hope the med helps ducky.

The first application went well. I caught her and held her still while my daughter squeezed a line of ointment across her eye and "blinked" her so it got good coverage. She wasn't pleased to be held, but was wagging her tail and sat still for us. The eye is already looking better, so I hope a few more applications will do it. It is a small flock of 7 and they have a kiddy pool and a deep bucket so she has opportunity to wash it off good.

Back
Top Bottom