Eye injury?? Or illness?

triton77

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
I noticed two days ago that my lavender chicken (21wks) was acting odd and tilting her head to the side. Upon closer look her right eye was shut and she won't open it. It's not swollen, has no obvious injury other than she won't open it. We started rinsing it with saline and she now opens it a little but doesn't seem to be able to see out of it. She still is tilting her head so her good eye up to see. She seems a little quieter then normal I noticed when she eats that she sweeps the food to the side now to see it maybe?? She is always standing at the food so I think she is eating. She also slept on the floor of coop last night vs where she usually sleeps on the roost.
Could it be some other illness causing the eye problem?
So, any suggestions now what to do? Should I try to put neosporin in it?
This is our favorite chicken she is a sweetheart and so friendly.
I think we may be chicken cursed this will be our third chicken with illness or injury. Our first lavender chicken came out of the shipping box lethargic and weak and died the next day. Then we had a maran that got injured when she flew up and hit the side of the coop hard and within the day she stopped walking and would lay on the ground and twitch. And now we have this one. These are our first chickens and we only have 5 now(city only lets us have 6 total).

It could be dust, ammonia fumes, or a disease causing this symptom. Many diseases can affect the eyes, and this symptom may progress to a full-blown eye infection. Just watch her closely, put neopsporin or terramycin ointment in the eyes once a day in the evening. Here is some info on eye conditions: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

Yep the eye is still in the socket. The coop doesn't smell like ammonia and its nice and dry in there.
I've been watching her all morning & she keeps wiggling her head and opening her beak like she has something stuck in her throat.
Any more thoughts?

Last edited:
You can check her crop--best time is early morning when it should be flat--for sour or impacted crop. Birds will sometimes move the neck in a way to adjust the crop. They will do this sometimes when it is very hot, and they can do this repeatedly if a condition such as gapeworm is present (very rare.) They also can get things stuck in the crop that are not food.

Thanks for the replys,
We made an appointment with a vet for today so we will hopefully get answers.
How do you check her crop? I know silly question.
Thanks again. I will update if we figure out anything.

Janelle

Well it's bad news. They think its mericks. She doesn't have the typical leg and wing issue hers is in the neck and eye.
Hopefully this will be the last one we lose. We are just taking her home to wait it out.

Sorry to hear it may be Mareks disease. She may improve, and many live with this disease in their flocks. Some chickens are immune. If you get more chickens in the future, make sure they are vaccinated for mareks because your property will be infected with it.

Well it's bad news. They think its mericks. She doesn't have the typical leg and wing issue hers is in the neck and eye.
Hopefully this will be the last one we lose. We are just taking her home to wait it out.

I would start her on some vitamins,some symptoms are similar to wry neck. Is she eating enough grit(referring to opening beak repeatedly)chickens do this also to adjust crop. Chickens have three eyelids,upper,lower and the nictitating membrane it is possible that it is an eyelid issue as opposed to her eye. You can use an eye antibiotic ointment on her eye,nothing ending in "caine/cane" toxic to chickens,i use polysporin 2 antibiotic eye ointment for sties on my chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom