Eye problem

c_soto1990

Crowing
14 Years
May 17, 2009
Chicago,Il
It’s so going on two weeks now my hand has had an issue with her eye. I started off by doing warm compresses and applying vet RX under her wings, head and mouth. Shortly after I started giving her terramycin ointment. so fast forward I decided to do a bit more investigating and found this white rubbery substance attached to what looks to be the tear duct and under the second eyelid. I was able to remove it as much as it hurt me because I could imagine the pain she was feeling. I am going to continue with the treatment, but have any of you experienced this?

Attachments

• IMG_5978.jpeg
    IMG_5978.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5982.jpeg
    IMG_5982.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5984.jpeg
    IMG_5984.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 13
Does she have any other symptoms - mucous from the nostrils, coughing, sneezing, etc.?

Often when there's swelling like that with pus it's an indication of respiratory disease. MG is one of the more common diseases, but if there's a bad odor, then it may be Infectious Coryza.

Other causes of infection can be from a peck to the eye, getting dirt/debris in the eye, etc.

It's good that you were able to remove the pus, since it will not dry up on its own, it needs to be removed. Keep flushing the eye a couple of times a day with saline and put some Terramycin eye ointment (Found at stores like TSC or off Amazon) in the eye.
Sometimes an oral antibiotic like Tylan/Tylosin is needed to help fight infection as well, but it's still very important to clean out the eye and apply the ointment.

Does she have any other symptoms - mucous from the nostrils, coughing, sneezing, etc.?

Often when there's swelling like that with pus it's an indication of respiratory disease. MG is one of the more common diseases, but if there's a bad odor, then it may be Infectious Coryza.

Other causes of infection can be from a peck to the eye, getting dirt/debris in the eye, etc.

It's good that you were able to remove the pus, since it will not dry up on its own, it needs to be removed. Keep flushing the eye a couple of times a day with saline and put some Terramycin eye ointment (Found at stores like TSC or off Amazon) in the eye.
Sometimes an oral antibiotic like Tylan/Tylosin is needed to help fight infection as well, but it's still very important to clean out the eye and apply the ointment.
That’s the same ointment that I’ve been using and was wondering why it wasn’t working until today when I was finally able to see that white crud and I knew it wasn’t supposed to be in there. She has been scratching her eye, and it looks as if she created a small tear in her secondary eyelid

That’s the same ointment that I’ve been using and was wondering why it wasn’t working until today when I was finally able to see that white crud and I knew it wasn’t supposed to be in there. She has been scratching her eye, and it looks as if she created a small tear in her secondary eyelid
Getting the pus out will help a lot, you may find that you have to press out or remove more.
Flushing/cleaning the eye and applying the ointment should help her heal up now since you were able to remove the pus.

Getting the pus out will help a lot, you may find that you have to press out or remove more.
Flushing/cleaning the eye and applying the ointment should help her heal up now since you were able to remove the pus.
I honestly hope I have to do nothing more than a play ointment as she did create a tear in her second eyelid. At the moment her eye is a little cloudy, very much open. The ripped eyelid resembles that of a bulldog with cherry eye

Back
Top Bottom