Eye problems

burnsjam91

Hatching
Nov 3, 2016

We just noticed one our chick's is having eye issues and are not sure what could be causing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Please separate this chick from the flock immediately.

Is there any sneezing or coughing? Nasal discharge? Is he the only new bird to your flock?

Looks like he has respiratory infection. Respiratory infections in chickens are caused by a few diseases that are highly contagious and that also make them carriers for life.

We have had the young ones several months since we bought them from atwoods. We bought 4 others that were about 6 months old and they usually stay in the chicken run and sleep in a separate area of the coop. They are only separated by a small fence. I took this chick out and put her in a dog crate. Is there anything I can do for this one?

You can treat with a course of injections of tylan 50. It is dosed based on weight of the bird at .2cc per pound 3 times a day. It only works on susceptible bacteria and the only way to know what he has is to get him tested for the respiratory diseases, usually through the state or a avian vet.

Is there any sneezing or nasal discharges. It does appear his sinus cavities are swelled up(the area in front of his eye)

I ordered some Tylan which should be here in a couple days. Should I just give it to all of the birds or just the one that looks infected? Will I be able to reintroduce this bird after giving her the round of antibiotics?

Minihorse asked twice if there was sneezing or nasal discharge. Wheezing or rattles while breathing could be symptoms as well. That is because swollen eyes with drainage can be a sign of a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza, but also could be due to eye pecking or an eye infection. Tylan 50 can be given orally in chickens as well as by injection. I would only medicate birds who are sick. Tylan helps in respiratory diseases, but if it is infected due to pecking or say, an E.coli infection from the bedding, another antibiotic may be needed. Be sure to clean the drainage out of the eye with saline or water, and some Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment appliedtwice a day to the eye can help.

Okay I am going to start the tylan when I get it and will continue with neosporin. I have been at work today but yesterday I didn't notice any sneezing or drainage. I could have missed it but I checked on them several times throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom